3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Blue Screen of Death on Start Up

Touchsmart 600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey all,

After coming back home yesterday and turning my computer on I was met with a blue screen of death. I tried restarting it a few times, to no avail. Ran the startup repair but it couldn't be completed, tried to do a system restore but it also wouldnt complete. Finally I ran a diagnostic which revealed all the hardware was fine. I can start the computer up in safemode but thats it, it wont start normally no matter what I do.

Any idea as to what's wrong and how to fix it? It's a touchsmart 600 running windows 10.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,530 22,473 2,057 4,905
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Rainfilledday

Hello;
Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

When you start in Safe mode, that prevents all of your startup apps and custom drivers from loading.  So, that means the problem is due to either a driver update or app update -- and since Win10 does both without our knowledge or permission, there is no easy way to tell which it is.

The process of running this down is long, hard and tedious.  It consists of first setting your PC to boot normally but without loading any startup items.

Since that is essentially the same as booting in Safe mode, that should work OK.

Then, you have to re-enable the startup items one at a time, reboot, and if that works OK, continue the process with the next startup item.  When the system then fails to reboot, the last startup item you re-enabled is the problem.  You then either have to disabled it or replace it.

If you want to go through this process, press Ctl-Alt-Del keys together to launch Task Manager.  Then, select the Startup tab.  Most likely, ALL the items will show as enabled.  You have to disable them and reboot.

Then, each time you reboot, you go to this same window and enable the next item down from the top -- and reboot.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey thanks!

So I tried that and it instantly crashed with the first few apps I tried, so I disabled all of the startup apps and tried once more only to still  be met with the blue screen.  😕 Any other ideas as to what could be causing it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did the "blue screen" show any code like "0x0000 1234", or any error-message?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, it just showed "critical service failed"

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation