Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Blue screen after update.

Envy 23-o014 all in one desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Back in October my computer updated and now all it will do is the blue screen of death. I have tried resetting, rebooting, recovery, the only thing I have not tried is completely earasing because my files are not backed up. I know the files are still in there because I was able to give commands and find them, but when I tried to transfer them to an external hard drive it would not transfer. The error code I get on startup is: 0xc000021a
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,391 2,258
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Ffemt1721,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

As I understand the keyboard blue screen of death windows 10

No worries as I'd love to help, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

Did you attempt starting in safe mode? to check if it works in there.

Have you tried to run any test on the computer?

Did it happen after a recent software update?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the Desktop:

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Run a extensive system test as well as an extensive test on the hard drive from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Depending on the test results, If the test fails, I would suggest here is to contact HP phone support for a possible hardware failure. 

If the test passes, I would suggest you perform a system recovery. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here:http://hp.care/2bygf7l

For more information, please use this link: HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. Safe mode does not work. There is no way I can get into the “normal” mode. This happened after a software update in October. I updated the computer and when I turned it back on it was messed up.

The following did not work:
Hard reset
Reset Pc
Startup repair
System restore (error code with it was 0x81000204)

I don’t want to try a system recovery until I get my files off of the computer. I don’t remember what I done, but it showed how many files I had but when I tried to transfer to a hard drive it would not let me.

As for the tests I have done, hard drive and system [q] both passed. I am running the system extensive test now.

My main concern is getting my files off safely. When I can do that, I will do a factory reset.

It is not a laptop, but an all in one PC.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After doing the system extensive test, everything passed.
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation