Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot from Samsung 970 evo NVME SSD. (Windows 10 installed on the drive)

HP Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just bought a Samsung 970 EVO NVME SSD for my Z820. I plugged it in with an adapter for the PCI Slot. the drive came up in my current windows installation. I then decided to fresh install windows on it and even though I can't see the drive in the bios I was able to see it in the windows 10 installer, the installation completed without error. 

My question is how do I make the computer boot from this NVME drive? I have tried looking around online but just gotten more confused. 

Regards,

Bilal Yassine

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings bilaly,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

You will not be able to use the M.2 drive as a bootable device if the Z820 motherboard/chipset does not provide baked in support for M.2 devices.

Do you have an M.2 socket on the motherboard? Since you installed a PCIe adapter I am guessing you don'have this.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe m.2 SSD installed in my HP Pavilion 500-401a and worked fine as my bootable OS drive. I have now cloned it to a new Samsung 970 EVO NVMe m.2 SSD and I cannot get it to be recognized by the BIOS and will not boot the OS. Is the 970 not compatible with my PC??

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation