Level 1
8 4 1 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Boot from external drive

HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-300 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I get my computer to boot from an external source, either a USB flash drive, USB hard drive or SATA DVD Drive. 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,233 41,481 4,528 11,902
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@KB41 wrote:

How do I get my computer to boot from an external source, either a USB flash drive, USB hard drive or SATA DVD Drive. 

First, connect your choice of an external storage device to a USB port. 

Now press the power button and press the F key that you see listed as the boot option. It will flicker to visibility and vanish quickly, so remember it.

View the available selections. If the device you have connected is bootable you should see it. Select it and your desktop should boot to the option selected.

If the device (DVD, USB thumb drive or storage) is not bootable, then it will not boot.  

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread #Don'tBeAntisocialWearAMask
#PracticeSocialDistancing
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

maybe make a bootable out of the SD card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 4 1 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Been there, done that. Menu shows USB drive, but will not let me access it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,233 41,481 4,528 11,902
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If it is not bootable it will not boot. Plain and simple.

In Windows, use the disk management snap-in with the USB flash drive is plugged in to see if it is bootable. 

Windows' command-line Diskpart utility's list volume command will also show whether or not it is bootable.  That is the simplest way. Plug in the USB flash drive and then open a command line. I showed the steps in the following image.

diskpart3.png

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread #Don'tBeAntisocialWearAMask
#PracticeSocialDistancing
0 Kudos
Author
Level 1
8 4 1 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No joy. Diskpart -list volume shows usb not bootable. Tried with a different usb just in case, same result. I am using the oficial app from microsft to create recovery. Also tried using the old Windows 7 option to create a recovery DVD. My DVD is SATA, not USB.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation