Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elite 8200 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am trying to diagnose my PC boot up issue.    I get a single beep when I boot up,  with a blank screen.  To resolve, I press the power button once (short press), and restart - it then boots up ok.  This happens frequently.

BIOS is American Megatrends.

Recently installed fresh RAM - all the same Elpida 2gb  total 8gb.

Did windows memory check and it worked - no errors reported.

Reseated memory but still get issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

V

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Could it be the cmos battery?   The time does not reset on windows.

HP Recommended

>  I get a single beep when I boot up.

That is to be expected -- the POST (Power On Self Test) is signalling that it has successfully completed.

> with a blank screen.

That is not good.  Possibly, the disk-drive is taking "longer-than-normal" to go from "off" to "ready to boot".

By the time that you restart it, the disk-drive is "fully awake", and responds in the "normal" amount of time.

How old is the disk-drive?

Have you recently launched the HP Hardware Diagnostics, and chosen the "short" (a few minutes) test of the health of the disk-drive?

HP Recommended

I have replaced the hard drive that was originally in the machine with two storage devices.  A secondary Western Digital 2TB SATA and a primary Crucial MX300 275 SSD.  The SSD was new and I don't expect issues with the other one.

Both drives are being reported as 'Healthy' under Disk Management which I launched from the HP Support software.

Thing is, during normal boot up, it does not emit the short beep.  Only when it hangs during boot up.  After which, a short power press switches it off, and a normal boot occurs on the second attempt.

I'm at a loss on how to diagnose this one.

HP Recommended

> I have replaced the hard drive that was originally in the machine with two storage devices. 

> A secondary Western Digital 2TB SATA and a primary Crucial MX300 275 SSD. 

> The SSD was new and I don't expect issues with the other one.

But, since you are having issues, please try:

1. immediately after power-on, press ESC, to see a menu. 

From the menu, press the indicated key to launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics, and target the tests against the WD disk-drive.

or ...

2. Disconnect the AC power, disconnect the data/power from the WD disk-drive, reconnect the AC power, and reboot.

Do you still experience the symptoms?

3. Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download, install, and run it, expand the "Storage" section, select one disk-drive, and expand the S.M.A.R.T. section, and review the individual statistics.

Repeat for the other disk-drive.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

> Both drives are being reported as 'Healthy' under Disk Management

That reports on the "logical" correctness of the file-system, not on the "physical" status of a disk-drive (SMART reports on the physical status).

HP Recommended

After ESC, the HP diagnostics esitmated nearly 5 hours to diagnose - I had to cancel it mid way as I had to get some work done.

SPECCY reports all the SMART attributes as 'Good'.

Do I still need to contirue with the HP Hardware Diagnostics? if so, I will kick it off again later.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

> SPECCY reports all the SMART attributes as 'Good'.

SPECCY does not have a 'Perfect' option -- in some of the measurements, a few "faults" in some category are not enough to report 'warn' or 'fail'.  So, it's important to look at the individual values.  Particularly, check the "spin-up" time.

> Do I still need to contirue with the HP Hardware Diagnostics?

The "optional" tests of RAM can take several hours.

When I use MEMTEST86+ -- from www.memtest.org -- it takes about 20 minutes per GB of RAM.

If it has not found any problems by 20 minutes, I doubt that it ever will.

The "long" disk-drive test can take a long time. Lots of I/O -- to test every block on the disk-drive.

HP Recommended

I did do the memcheck in windows, and after it finished, no errors were reported on the RAM.

I will do the hard drive check asap, but surely a bad sector should not cause issues during Post.  The beep occurs before the OS is loaded.

HP Recommended

@VioletHerson@  wrote:

I did do the memcheck in windows, and after it finished, no errors were reported on the RAM.

I will do the hard drive check asap, but surely a bad sector should not cause issues during Post. 

The beep occurs before the OS is loaded.

So, the RAM is OK.

One beep before Windows starts to load is to be expected -- the POST (Power On Self Test) is signalling that it has successfully completed, and that the motherboard is about to try to load Windows from the disk-drive.

HP Recommended

...except, after the beep, it just hangs.  Then on the second try, it normally loads up ok without a beep.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.