Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 8300 Elite CMT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP 8300 Elite CMT. I would like to install an M.2 NVMe SSD and boot from it. Since the computer doesn't have the M.2 slot, I would be installing the SSD via a PCIe adapter card. 

Is there a BIOS update available for this computer that will support booting from the NVMe drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@techie6 

I have a different take on your situation -- although I readily admit that I could be wrong.

The specs on your model show it came out in 2012 -- 9 years ago -- and my guess is that it is a BIOS machine, not UEFI, and therefore does not have native NVMe boot capability -- as that is generally tied to Secure Boot.

So, my expectation is that you would be able to USE the NVMe stick because Windows 10 has drivers for it, but you will not be able to BOOT from it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Is there a BIOS update available for this computer that will support booting from the NVMe drive?

Probably, once the motherboard recognizes the PCIe adapter card, and that the motherboard enumerates that the M.2 device is emulating a disk-drive, then you can enter BIOS SETUP, and change the "boot order" to change the "primary" boot-device to the M.2 -- without needing any update to the BIOS.

HP Recommended

@techie6 

I have a different take on your situation -- although I readily admit that I could be wrong.

The specs on your model show it came out in 2012 -- 9 years ago -- and my guess is that it is a BIOS machine, not UEFI, and therefore does not have native NVMe boot capability -- as that is generally tied to Secure Boot.

So, my expectation is that you would be able to USE the NVMe stick because Windows 10 has drivers for it, but you will not be able to BOOT from it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @techie6 

The 8300 Elite does have a UEFI BIOS, and should also support secure boot.

My older 8200 Elite CMT has a UEFI BIOS, but does not support secure boot.

However I am not as confident as itsmyname is regarding your PC's ability to boot from a NVMe drive in the PCIe x4 slot, with or without a BIOS update.

If you plan to update the BIOS, use the F10 BIOS setup flash method because none of the Windows based BIOS update files were written to be run on W10.

Here is a copy and paste of the BIOS update release notes for your PC that HP has on file.

Version: 00.03.08 Rev.A

- Provides latest Intel Microcode versions 0x21 for Ivy Bridge processors and 0x2F for Sandy Bridge processors.
NOTE: Due to security changes, after loading this BIOS, older versions cannot be installed.

Version: 00.03.07 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: NOTE: Due to security changes, after loading this BIOS, older versions cannot be installed. - Provides latest Intel Microcode versions 0x20 for Ivy Bridge processors and 0x2E for Sandy Bridge processors.

Version: 00.03.06 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Provides the latest Intel Microcode versions 0x1F for Ivy Bridge processors and 0x2D for Sandy Bridge processors.
- Adds a new BIOS Setup policy to allow the Power On Password prompt when Wake On LAN is enabled. NOTE: This new setting will be enable by default, and will prompt for Power On Password during a Wake on LAN event.

NOTE: Due to security changes, after loading this BIOS, older versions cannot be installed.

Version: 03.04 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Added Security Update.

Version: 03.03 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Fixed F10 "BIOS Power On" issue where TIME was not getting saved unless cursor (focus) remained on TIME setting in F10 menu. *** ALERT *** ALERT *** ALERT ***
If upgrading from a v02.xx to this version, v03.00, the user MUST FIRST FLASH TO v02.99.
If not, upgrading to v03.xx will be rejected.

Version: 03.02 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Fixed issue where TPM was enabled without Setup Password enabled.
– Fixed issue where AMT Enable was getting grayed in F10 when not properly provisioned.
- Fixed Wake On LAN (usually wake by magic packet) to Disable (BIOS) Fast Boot so Remote Wakeup Boot Source will execute.
- Fixed BiosConfigUtility in setting Legacy and UEFI Boot Sources.
- Fixed the Master Boot Record Security in F10 Menu and to allow MBRBackup to be updated.
- Updated the BIOS Power On support.
- Updated USB support. *** ALERT *** ALERT *** ALERT ***
If upgrading from a v02.xx to this version, v03.00, the user MUST FIRST FLASH TO v02.99.
If not, upgrading to v03.00 will be rejected.
- Implemented Roll Back prevention.
- Added improved Security Updates.
*** ALERT ***
This release improved Security Updates implementation. HP strongly recommends promptly
transitioning to this BIOS version. Due to security changes, after this BIOS
update has been installed, previous BIOS versions cannot be reinstalled.

Version: v02.99 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Customers MUST flash this BIOS first, before flashing to the v03.xx versions.
- Added enhancement to allow for flashing forward to v03.xx.
- This is the same version as v02.98.

Version: v02.98 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Fixed for AMT Watchdog Timers when disabled in F-10 the timers are no longer active.
- Fixed the Boot Order status and sequence listed in CPQSetup.txt to be the same as in F10 Menu, Setup.
- Fixed the possible TXT/TPM issue in F10 Menu where both TXT and TPM options could be greyed-out in the F10 Setup.
- Fixed intermittent S3 hang during the resume cycle.
- Fixed the Boot Order displaying incorrectly in F10=Setup when the Network Controller is Disabled.
- Fixed the TPM1.2 device not being accessible in Device Manager and TPM.MSC after resetting the TPM. - Flash Back Restrictions to previous BIOS versions.

ALERT: This BIOS includes critical updates. Once the system is updated to this
version, rollback to previous versions is restricted. This restriction
also applies to BIOS recovery files.

- Added UEFI and UEFI Variables Security Updates.

You can find the BIOS updates under the W8.1 driver section of the support page.

HP Compaq Elite 8300 Convertible Minitower PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

The NVMe drive is recognized in Windows and I am able to use it as a storage device but it is not recognized in the BIOS, thereby I am not able to select it as a boot device. I think I am running the latest BIOS version but will double check. Regardless of BIOS version, I think because of how old the machine is, it may not be able to boot from it.

I thought I'd ask if someone here had accomplished this in case I was wrong about my assumption. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.