Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 3 (518 Views)

Bricked Elite 8300 SFF Motherboard after change from IDE to AHCI

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Elite 8300 SFF

I appear to have bricked two 657094-001 motherboards in two Compaq Elite 8300 SFF.

On both occasions I noticed the sata controller in the bios was set to IDE. I changed to AHCI and as expected Win 10 blue screened. Not a problem I will just switch back to IDE in the bios and take it from there.

This action bricked both motherboards. Bios does not post, Fan's run and get progressively louder. Sometimes the bios appears - perhaps one out of 40 boots and I have jumped into the bios and flashed but still no boot after a restart. Also tried numerous cmos reset / battery pulls.

I'm at a total loss. I have never bricked two motherboards by switching from IDE to AHCI and this is now getting expensive.

Any help ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 3 (469 Views)

Re: Bricked Elite 8300 SFF Motherboard after change from IDE to AHCI

colsearle

I would also not have expected this problem, as I have myself changed from IDE to AHCI without this kind of result.

Since we have no means of diagnosing or repairing the problem, while this PC is still under warranty, you should contact HP Customer Support directly to have them put you in touch with HP Technical Support to see what they can do about diagnosing and repairing your machine remotely.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Intern
Message 3 of 3 (463 Views)

Re: Bricked Elite 8300 SFF Motherboard after change from IDE to AHCI

[ Edited ]

The HP Elite 8300's are out of warranty.

After seeing this happen twice ( I've only done it twice ) I'm sure it would again if I repeated the same steps. I have other 8300's here and it's almost tempting to video the motherboard being bricked  by the switch to AHCI and boot.

I just don't understand it. I have been fixing computers for 15 years, IDE to AHCI switches are fairly common jobs which I have done many times.

I'm wondering what would happen if I connected a drive with an IDE mode installed OS to one of these Elite's which was already in AHCI with secure boot on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation