Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Omen 25L GT11
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had some stuff on my old SSD that required me to boot the Windows on it up to gain access to. I used this USB SATA adapter to connect the drive into the PC, and then I restarted the PC into the menu where I can select the drive to boot from. I selected the SSD and the PC booted into the UEFI, which only gave me the error 3F3, options to test components of my system and no possibility to change the startup drive. I've kept restarting it and trying to hit ESC, F10, F8 and all the other button commands I could find, but it's ignoring them and not letting me into the proper BIOS because of this issue. I've been running the hard disk tests and stuff but they've all been fine, as well as I would assume them to - only problem I believe I have is that the PC wants to boot into a drive that it can't use, but also doesn't let me change it to another one (seems like a huge oversight to me). Let me know if you need more information!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Internally, the motherboard assigns 3F0 to the first disk-drive (or CD/DVD device), then 3F1 to the second, and 3F2 to the third , and 3F3 to the fourth.

What happens if you disconnect the CD/DVD and all the disk-drives (both internal and external) and then startup your computer?  Lacking anything "bootable", can you now enter BIOS SETUP?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Internally, the motherboard assigns 3F0 to the first disk-drive (or CD/DVD device), then 3F1 to the second, and 3F2 to the third , and 3F3 to the fourth.

What happens if you disconnect the CD/DVD and all the disk-drives (both internal and external) and then startup your computer?  Lacking anything "bootable", can you now enter BIOS SETUP?

HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for the tip! I actually don't know what happened exactly... I disconnected all my hard drives except my NVMe which is the actual boot disk, I left it connected by accident... And the PC booted to Windows! Next I reconnected the other hard drives and they didn't show up, so I went to BIOS to check on them. There was no option to re-enable them in that specific BIOS so I gave up, but... as I booted into Windows once more, all the drives somehow showed up again!

So long story short, everything is now working again, and I have absolutely no idea whatsoever as to why that is as I didn't really *do* almost anything in the end. Your tip did work, thanks a lot! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.