Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Prodesk 400 G1 SFF
Other

The System is a Prodesk 400 G1

Original Power Supply and Mainboard

Intel Core I5 4660 cpu @ 3.20 GHz

2 x 8GB DDR2 ram

OS Windows Server 2016 & Windows 10 Home

I have a issue where by I can't restart the computer, it lets me shut down and boot's correctly the computer seems to work as expected while it is running but if try to restart the screen swiches off, the machine stays powered up, it doesn't load the bios, windows doesn't load it just sits there powered upo doinf nothing?

Cheers for your help

Steve 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

Weird.

PWR and LID.png

The above is for Laptops, but does suggest your desktop is displaying symptoms of 'Do Nothing'.

HP Recommended

I tried this but it still doesn´t  work. Whenever i try to restart the system everything begins normally, however it simpley stops booting and hangs with the monitor off and i hear the hdd stops working. The power is still  on  and the system appears to be stuck between shut down and reboot before bios has  loaded. It looks like it is missing the power off signal it works normal on shut down but not working with the restart sequence. I have tried updating to the newest bios and have tried to run this computer with a different psu and operating system but it still has the same problem . This is a very bad problem when the system is for example doing an update and needs to restart but stays stuck after sutting down from reboot sequence. I must hold the power key to force the computer to fully switch off and then swich it on again which causes it to boot normally.

HP Recommended
Processor is Intel I5-4460 sorry is it possible HP has cpu- whitelisting
HP Recommended

@Steven-Deacon@  wrote:
Processor is Intel I5-4460.
Sorry.
Is it possible HP has cpu white-listing ?

Extremely doubtful, especially since it does work with that CPU.

>  I have tried updating to the newest bios and have tried to run this computer with a different psu & operating system but it still has the same problem .

Have you tried a different disk-drive?

It is possible that the motherboard restarts "too fast", i.e., before the disk-drive powers-down, powers-up, and then is "up to speed".

Have you launched the HP Hardware Diagnostics, to test the overall "health" of the disk-drive?

This is a very bad problem when the system is for example doing an update and needs to restart but stays stuck after shutting down from reboot sequence.

In that case, when Windows Update tells you that a restart is scheduled, your circumvention is just to do a normal "shutdown".  Then, do a normal "power-on", to let Windows Update complete.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.