Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-1045m CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I'm running into a strange error trying to recover a friends PC - The computer was recently updated which I believe is causing the boot drive to be unrecognizable. In attempting to recover the PC I have created multiple recovery USBs via Rufus and the Windows tool. All attempts end at/around the select language screen in which the PC hard crashes to a black screen and reboots with no error code. I cannot update the BIOS as the system information reflects board ID 86D3 which is not present on the HP drivers and software page. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is a CTO machine, so customer configurable.

What kind of drive do you have in it (regular mechanical, M2 Optane, M2 PCIe NVMe SSD)

You could also try performing HP diagnostics at boot and see if there are any hardware failures

Turn off the PC by holding the power button until complete shutdown.

Turn on the PC and repeatedly press ESC until startup menu appears.

Press F2 to enter diagnostics.

Try performing the system test and see if there are any failure ids.

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks David, 

it has a WD blue 1TB HDD in it currently. 

I have run all diagnostics with a passed and no error IDs

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.