Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY Phoenix 850se Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My primary HDD (one with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit) showed a DST error and online experts recommended an HDD replacement. The machine had originally come with Windows 8.1 Pro but I had been able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Replaced the HDD with a WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA
6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX. Downloaded the Media Creation Tool1809 on a laptop, downloaded  Windows 10 to a USB flash drive and installed it to the HP PC.  Started the PC. The OS started up. Configured the PC, connected to a network, updated Windows 10. Then the PC beeped (missed counting the beeps, I was so surprised) and shut down. Since then the PC does not come up even to the logo screen. It just shuts itself off.

I can use all the help someone can give me to diagnose and fix the PC. The PC is configured as follows. Right now it has no apps other than what a fresh installation of Windows set up.

• Windows 10 Pro 64
  • 4th Generation Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-5820K processor hexa-core [3.3GHz, 15MB Shared Cache]
  • 16GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB) RAM
  • 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G Hard Drive
  • 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GTX 745 4GB DDR3 FH GFX
  • Blu-ray Reader & SuperMulti DVD burner
  • HP Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2x2 with Bluetooth M.2 Non-vPro NIC
  • 7-in-1 Media Card Reader, 4 USB Ports (Top), Audio [Top 2USB2.0, 2USB3.0]
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@chickster,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03513214

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you The_Fossette for the link to the article. However, even after checking all the connections and reseating the memory modules, things did not go well. On one attempt, after starting the PC, the machine stayed on long enough for me to login and install a couple of apps before it shut down. I don't know if it makes sense, but when I changed the PC sleep interval to never, the machine stayed on for a much longer time. I could restart it, could turn it off and turn it back on, etc., but my happiness did not last forever. Wanting to test the memory, I accessed the BIOS (AMI BIOS v80.2) setup screen. There was no memory module test available under any tab. When I exited the BIOS setup, the PC went back into its beeping mode (2 long, 2 short, repeated four or five times) before shutting down. In short, I am not confident that tomorrow the PC will come on, or stay on. I am thinking of replacing the memory modules, but I am not sure that will do the trick. I don't want to spend money unnecessarily without a clear idea of the problem source. Any advice from anyone on how to get beyond this uncertainty? Thanks.

HP Recommended

@chickster,

Follow the steps in the below article to run the memory test.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

For the beeping issue, follow the steps in the below article.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.