Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario SR5130NX
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hello again! I posted a similar issue in April 2016. I was using my desktop PC when a local blackout occurred in my apartment building. All of my appliances went out. When power was restored, I was able to turn on my PC, but unable to logon as usual.

I was able to resolve it last time, but this one is a little different.

Normally, I turn on my PC and a window appears where I have to select my operating system - "Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered)." Then about 30 seconds later, a window appears asking for my password. After entering it, the PC proceeds to my desktop. Now, when I turn on the PC, it leads me to a black screen with the headline "Windows Boot Manager" asking me to choose an operating system. When I choose mine ("Windows Vista..."), I get this message:

---START QUOTE---

Windows Error Recovery

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disk, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

---END QUOTE---

As noted at the lower left corner of the screen, I hit ENTER to continue.

When I select "Start Windows Normally," "I eventually go to a blue screen with the following error message:

---START QUOTE---

Error

LoadKey failed with error 999 (STHIVE#0)

---END QUOTE---

At this point, the system locks up. Nothing else happens until I press and hold the power button to turn the system off.

When I turn the PC on again and tap F8 during the boot process, a "Advanced Boot Options" window opens and there are several additional startup options:

---START QUOTE---

Advanced Boot Options

Choose Advanced Options for: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered)

(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

Safe Mode

Safe Mode with Networking

Safe Mode with Command prompt

Enable BootLogging

Enable low-resolution video (640x480)

Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)

Directory Services Restore Mode

Debugging Mode

Disable automatic restoration on system failure

Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

---END QUOTE---

No matter what I choose, I still can't start my computer normally. A "Windows Error Recovery" window opens with the "Windows failed to start..." message if I choose any option except "Start Windows Normally" (which gives me the "LoadKey failed..." error).

When I start the PC with a "Windows Vista Bootable" disk (I forget where I got it, but most likely from a reputable suorce), I go directly to a Windows Vista logo screen. I can click on "Repair your computer" and go to "System Recovery Options." I can choose 1 of 2 volumes for repair:

HP Recovery Manager
Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium

I choose "Windows Vista..." but the scan always ends as follows:
"Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." When I click "View problem details," I see this:

---START QUOTE---
Problem Event Name:    StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01:    ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 02:    6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
Problem Signature 03:    6
Problem Signature 04:    786444
Problem Signature 05:    NoBootFailure
Problem Signature 06:    NoBootFailure
Problem Signature 07:    0
Problem Signature 08:    0
Problem Signature 09:    unknown
Problem Signature 10:    1168
OS Version:    6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID:    1033
---END QUOTE---

When I click the back button and click on "View advanced options for system recovery and support," I go to the "System Recovery Options" page after choosing these options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

I went back and tried "Command Prompt." At the suggestion of one of the dozen or so websites I visted to fix this problem, I typed the following:
bootrec /rebuildbcd

After a few minutes, I got this message:

---START QUOTE---
Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

---END QUOTE---

I turned off the PC and restarted the PC, but still wasn't able to log on.

I inserted another disk, a 32-bit Boot Repair Disk from sourceforge.net. I clicked on the boot repair option that appeared automatically. Here's the message I got afterward:

---START QUOTE---
Boot successfully repaired.
Please write on a paper the following URL:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/M3dkHFFC9N/
In case you still experience boot problem, indicate this URL to:
boot.repair@gmail.com or to your favorite support forum.
You can now reboot your computer.

---END QUOTE---

When I clicked out of the window and tried to shut down, it directed me to eject the disk, then restart the PC. But when I did, I still couldn't log on. I went to the usual "Windows Boot Manager" then the "Windows Error Recovery" screens.

I inserted a Windows 10 disk I downloaded in 2016, the same one I used last time to accidentally restore function to the PC. Instead of installing, I chose the "Repair Your Computer" option. Then I selected these options:
Troubleshoot
Advanced Options
Startup Repair
Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered)

But I got this error message:

---START QUOTE---
Startup Repair
Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC.
Press "Advanced Options" to try other options to repair your PC or *Shut down* to turn off your PC.
Log file: D:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

---END QUOTE---

From the "Troubleshoot" selection, I chose the "Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset," where I searched for and viewed the SrtTrail.txt file. This was the last line:

---START QUOTE---
Root cause found:
The operating system version is incompatible with Startup Repair.

---END QUOTE---

After, I opened "Solution Wizard" to "Choose the proper repair tool." For  my type of problem, I selected "System will not start correctly," then asked it to "Scan fr corrupt system files and replace them." It directed me to the "System File Repair Wizard,described as follows:

"The wizard helps you check the system files of a Windows installation and repair any that are corrupt." I selected "Scan and prompt before doing any repairs, but encountered the following error after a few seconds:

---START QUOTE---
sfc.exe - Application Error
The exception Breakpoint
A breakpoint has been reached.
(0x80000003 ocurred in the application at location 0x713A764A.
Click on OK to terminate the program.

---END QUOTE---

I tried to do the scan twice more, but got the same error message.

I'm all out of ideas... except for using the Windows 10 disk to restore the PC as I did last time. But I want to exhaust my other options before I risk wiping out my PC as it is. Thankfully, I was able to save much of my data by connecting an external drive and copying the data from the hard drive to the external.

I'd be EXTEMELY grateful for any help you can offer.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I can upload pictures of my monitor if that would be more useful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm happy to report the PC has been repaired. I bought a recovery disk from NeoSmart and was able to do a System Recovery. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

> Safe Mode with Command prompt

Choose this option.

At the command-line, type     CHKDSK C:  /F

and press ENTER.

It may tell you that it do the "check-disk" immediately after rebooting. Allow it to do so.

This may repair:

File: \Windows\system32\config\system

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

by fixing any file-system errors.

HP Recommended

Thank you, mdklassen, for your reply. Unfortunately, I cannot access the Command Prompt at all. I'm directed to a black screen with the words "Safe Mode" at all 4 corners, then the Compaq Recovery manager appears. I can restore the system to the original factory setting, or access 4 "Advanced options" -

---START QUOTE---

Computer checkup

Microsoft Startup Repair Tool

Microsofy System Restore

File backup program

System recovery

---END QUOTE---

...but I cannot access a prompt to type your command. Also, when I use the Microsoft Startup Repair Tool, it ends with the message "Startup repair cannot this computer automatically."

Is there another way to access the command prompt, or do you have any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

> Is there another way to access the command prompt?

Hold-down the "Windows" key (bottom-left corner of your keyboard).

Type-and-release 'R'.

Release that "Windows" key.

Does that open a command-line prompt?

HP Recommended

I tried pressing those buttons but I still cannot access the Command Prompt, even when I see "Safe Mode" in all 4 corners. Compaq Recovery manager is in the center of the screen, and when I exit from that, the computer reboots. I tried Windows key + R while Compaq Recovery manager was on screen, and nothing happened.

HP Recommended

Another update on my effort to repair my Vista PC.

As recommended on another website, I used a Windows 7 installation DVD I downloaded some time ago, started the PC and booted into it. I went into Command Prompt (finally able to get into it) and did the following:

---START QUOTE---

x:\Sources>cd ..

x:\>cd Windows

x:\Windows> cd Windows\System32

x:\Windows\System32> COPY config d:Windows\System32

config\BCD-Template

config\COMPONENTS

config\DEFAULT

config\DRIVERS

config\FP

config\SAM

config\SECURITY

config\SOFTWARE

config\SYSTEM

9 file(s) copied

x:\Windows\System32>exit

---END QUOTE---

I then exited Command Prompt and restarted the PC normally (not using the DVD), but got the same ""Windows failed to start" message.

I used the DVD again to access its "Diagnostics and Recovery Toolkit" to use the "SFC Scan" (System File Checker), but got the error message "Scanning tool failed to run properly. No scanning or repairing was done..."

When I tried the Startup Repair function in the Advanced Options, I got this error message:

--START QUOTE---

Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC

Press "Advanced Options" to try other options to repair your PC or "Shut down" to turn off your PC.

Log file: D:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

---END QUOTE---

When I viewed that .txt file using the Search function, the last section said "Root cause found: The operating system version is incompatible with Startup Repair."

I placed a Windows Vista bootable DVD I downloaded some time ago, but there's no "Repair your computer" option on it. It only allows me to reinstall Vista without asking if I can preserve any of the files currently on my hard drive.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

> I used a Windows 7 installation DVD

> I used the DVD again to use the "SFC Scan" (System File Checker),

> but got the error message "Scanning tool failed to run properly. No scanning or repairing was done..."

Yes. SFC from Windows 7 probably is incompatible with your Windows Vista system.

> When I tried the Startup Repair function in the Advanced Options, I got this error message:

> Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC

> When I viewed that .txt file, the last section said

> "Root cause found: The operating system version is incompatible with Startup Repair."

Yes.  The version (7) on the DVD does not match the version (Vista) on your computer.

> I placed a Windows Vista bootable DVD I downloaded some time ago,

> Any other suggestions?

Note that Microsoft ended all support for Windows Vista last year: April 2017.

Remove the current disk-drive from your computer.

Purchase another disk-drive.

Connect the new disk-drive.

Install Vista onto it.

When prompted for the license-key, click to "skip" that step.

The next window will ask you which version of Vista to install (Home? Business? et cetera).

Select the version that matches your current operating system.

Windows will install.

Connect the current disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive, and copy all your personal files from "old" to "new".

Use the 25-character product-key on the "Microsoft decal" to activate Windows.

Run Windows Update, several times.

The first time, Windows Update should install a "Service Pack" for Vista.

Caution: for some unknown to us poor consumers of Vista, Windows Update will take 7 to 10 days, yes, DAYS, to apply all the updates that are follow-up updates after that Service Pack has installed.

Note that you may have difficulty finding anti-virus software that will install onto Vista, due to the "unsupported" status of Vista, since last April.

HP Recommended

This is my last status update before I try something more drastic, like reinstalling Windows Vista (or a later Windows OS) on the PC.

I again booted up using "Boot Repair Disk (32 bit)" from sourceforge.net. When I got to the desktop, I saw a button to "Repair the boot of the computer." After clicking it, I saw this message:

---START QUOTE---
Boot successfully repaired.
Please write on a paper the following URL:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/MzZJdjWMKs/
In case you experience boot problem, indicate this URL to boot.repair@gmail.com or to your favorite support forum.
You can now reboot your computer.
---END QUOTE---

When I rebooted, I was brought again to a "Windows Boot Manager" window during the boot process. I had a choice of 2 operating systems to choose from:

Ramdisk settings

When I chose the Windows Vista OS, I was brought to the "windows Error Recovery" window that started with the line "Windows failed to start..."

I then inserted the Windows 10 disk I got sometime ago from somewhere. I went into the Advanced Options and accessed the Command Prompt, where I typed the following:

X:\Sources>chkdsk d: /f

This is the end of the report that resulted:

---START QUOTE---

Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

Windws has made corrections to the file system.

No further action is required.

186172528 KB total disk space.

166820568 KB in 354802 files.

233032 KB in 50993 indexes.

8 KB in bad sectors.

535060 KB in use by the system .

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

18583860 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

46543132 totall allocation units on disk.

4645965 allocation units available on disk.

Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

X:/Sources>

---END QUOTE---

I rebooted the PC but got the usual "Windows failed to start" message.

I again rebooted to the Windows 10 disk, navigated to the Command Prompt and typed the following, as instructed above:

---START QUOTE---
X:\Sources>cd ..
X:\bootrec /rebuildbcd
Scanning all disks for Windows installation.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1] D:\Windows.old\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A):Y
The operation completed successfully.

X:\>exit
---END QUOTE---

When I rebooted the PC, I now had 3 operating systems to choose from in the Windows Boot Manager:

---START QUOTE---
Choose an operating system to start, or press TAB to select a tool:
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice, then press ENTER.)

Ramdisk settings
Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
---END QUOTE---

After I selected I selected "Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium" and hit ENTER, I was yet again taken to the Windows Error Recovery and the message "Windows failed to start..." I restarted the PC and instead selected "Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered)" and still got the same error message.

I'm in the process of downloading a torrent from NeoSmart for a Windows Vista bootable disk. The Vista disk I currently have doesn't have the "Repair your computer" option other disks have.

Any other suggestions?

P.S. Thanks already for the suggestions you've given.

HP Recommended

> X:\Sources>chkdsk d: /f

> Windows has made corrections to the file system.

> 8 KB in bad sectors.

How "ancient" is the disk-drive?  Remember, it came with a one-year, maybe a two-year, warranty.

That's bad news that it found "bad" sectors.

From that same command-prompt, enter:   CHKDSK  😧  /R

to scan 100% of the sectors on the disk-drive for "badness".

This may take a few hours.

HP Recommended

I'm happy to report the PC has been repaired. I bought a recovery disk from NeoSmart and was able to do a System Recovery. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.