Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Touchsmart 300-1007
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, Pete here. Happy Holidays to all!   Got sort of a dual problem here.

I recently had a sudden fatal HHD failure on my Touchsmart 300-1007. I took out the fatality drive and wish to use another mechanical drive temporarily (for about a month) until I install a permanent solid state drive. I installed the temporary drive which seems to be cycling correctly on power up. While using a USB wired keyboard, it seems that I am unable to get past the BIOS splash page.

The page offers selections of Escape for Boot Menu, F10 for Setup, F11 for System Recovery, and F9 for Diagnostics.  A ver ID is displayed as v5.07.  Choosing any of the given selections yields no response. There are no BIOS beeps when I turn the unit on, and as far as I am aware, everything hardware inside the unit is OK.  Having no restore backup burned to DVD, or even a Boot Disc; I am quite concerned about how I might get the original O/S back on this unit. 

The unit DOES still have the original Microsoft O/S authenticity sticker on the back.

These situations lead me to the following questions:

1.) Why am I getting no response from the unit with a wired keyboard in order to enter the BIOS? How is that done?

2.) If my first concern was remedied and can get into the BIOS, then what? How/where do I aquire a replacement copy of the original O/S that was paid for when the unit was bought?  Might that be among purposes of the authenticity sticker?

3.) If aquired, by what means could I load the O/S onto the drive I am currently using for this computer? Is this even done? If so, is it a download to DVD or USB? Can I install via USB? will I need a boot disc foe that?

Well, first things first. Hopefully there is a reason known why it will not accept the selections it asks on the BIOS splash page.

I am pretty sure if I do get to the point of loading its O/S, that I will be OK loading the drivers provided by HP in the appropriate support section of the site.

Also, I just wanted to add that if I had been given either a SMART notice of eminent faliure, or the slightest abnormalty in sound by the drive that completely failed suddenly, I'd have burned DVD's  immediately. The drive did not go down the way they typically might. When it failed, all was well on the computer's last shutdown. It just happened to be the drive's final shut down.  I know computers are not like people, but it was symptomatic as if it died in its sleep per se. Haha no chance of any last words from it (like a backup). 

I know someone is going to post that the first thing you do is backup, while all is well. Yes, I blew it on that one. Guess I'm here to pay the price.

Most grateful in advance, and wish to thank all you pro's and folks alike with the wealth of knowledge that keeps the rest of us moving forward

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-touchsmart-300-1000-desktop-pc-series/4002827/model/4007368

may be a good place to start.

CyberLink Recovery Discs Utility

2009.11.25131.5 MBFeb 8, 2010
  • Resolves an issue where Recovery Discs sent from HP do not work on a new hard drive or one that has been fully cleaned or "wiped".
  • Enables the creation of a bootable CD that can be used with a set of Recovery Discs sent from HP to install software on a new or "wiped" hard drive.

So it would seem that a copy of W7 onto a dvd may solve your problem.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-downl...

W7 has issues with installing from USB.

If in doubt please ask.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.