1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot load Windows Boot Manager

HP-700-311na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Issue Summary:

I can no longer boot into Windows after setting my BIOS settings back to their factory default. This has happened before when I first got the PC back in 2014, where it would lockup on the HP Logo. Since then, I've installed multiple operating systems (Mainly dual booting Windows with Linux) which has lead to the GRUB boot loader being installed at some point.

Since resetting the BIOS settings again, the computer refuses to load anything but the GRUB boot loader, I'm assuming that this is similar to the issue I had before, but since it technically does have something to boot to, it doesn't hang on the HP Logo.

A key thing to note is, the GRUB boot loader has been installed for awhile, and has worked fine alongside Windows, a few months ago I uninstalled ubuntu from the hard-disk, meaning the boot loader was no longer in use and I was only booting to Windows. Since GRUB no longer boots into Ubuntu, when the computer attempts to load what it thinks it "ubuntu" all it does is open a GRUB Bash CLI.

Things I've tried:

- Changing all BIOS settings back to what I had them as before the reset.

- Checking to see if the SSD has failed (it hasn't, other computers are able to boot into it)
- Hardware Dianogstics return as PASSED
- Tried disabling other boot options, making the SSD the only possible boot option - causes the system to return errors like "boot disk not detected or has failed" or will sometimes bring up a blue dialog claiming there is no operating system installed (3F0)

Things to note:

- The SSD used to boot into Windows is perfectly functional, other computers/systems can boot into it without any issue.
- I don't believe the 700-311na initally comes installed with an SSD, it was something I was given the option to have when I purchased it from PC World (UK)
- There has been a similar problem before, where a BIOS reset caused the system to hang on the HP Logo, however, I sent the thing off for repair back then since I didn't really have much idea of what I was doing - so I am unaware of how this problem was solved last time.
- I am unable to load any kind of recovery utilties (such as System Recovery [F11]) - it just results in the same outcome of attempting to boot normally.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,505 22,160 2,558 8,602
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot load Windows Boot Manager

@FoggyIO, welcome to the forum.

I have run a dual boot system for years with Ubuntu and Windows.  However, I always used two hard drives; one for Ubuntu and one for Windows.  This save this type of problem.  Here is a possible solution from https://ubuntuforums.org/ .  It may not work for you unless you reinstall Ubuntu.  If you need further help, I suggest that you go to their Forums.  They are the experts on anything Ubuntu and the problems related to it.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation