daducote
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Cannot power up

HP Recommended
HP slimline desktop model 450–a24
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have an HP slimline desktop model 450 – a24 with a nutmeg mini ITX motherboard. My system will not power up unless I disconnect the hard disk. When I try to start up I get approximately a 1.5 seconds of CPU fan, system fan and power light before the system shuts down I bought a new hard disk same model and have the same problem. I have replaced the power supply and still have the same problem. Through the process of illumination, by unplugging each component one at a time, I have determined that disconnecting the hard disk data cable is the only way I can power up my system. Disconnecting the power cable of the hard disk makes no difference my computer still will not power up unless I disconnect the data cable even on a new hard disk. i’m about to buy a new motherboard. Any suggestions before I do?
4 REPLIES 4
KrazyToad
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,059 21,046 1,279 1,305
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@daducote

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I understand that the computer is not booting up if the Hard drive is connected and you have already performed all the crucial troubleshooting steps

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting and diagnosing this issue.

Unfortunately, there is nothing much you can do since the hard drive data cable is somehow creating a short circuit when connected and not allowing the computer to power on.

Since you have already replaced the Hard drive and cables, this should be an issue with the Motherboard as you correctly diagnosed.

Keep me posted if you need further assistance

Thank you 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
daducote
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The motherboard seams to have been the problem. I installed the new one this afternoon and have been able to boot-up many times. 

Having replaced the motherboard, i am noticing some sites are asking me to verify who I am. I'm guessing because some identifier on the board has changed.

Is there anything I should do to prevent issues down the road such as soft updates or site access problems?

0 Kudos
daducote
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One other observation, the "System Model" has changed from 450-a24 to 251-a123w.

How does this affect me when trouble shooting or ordering additional memory,

which I'm about to do?

0 Kudos
KrazyToad
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,059 21,046 1,279 1,305
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@daducote

I'm glad you were able to get this issue sorted out. To avoid issues with the Motherboard ensure the computer is shut down properly after usage and always make use of a Surge Protector.

Since this is a Desktop is is advisable to use a UPS protector to avoid sudden shut down due to sudden power outage

Replacing or upgrading the memory should not be an issue as long as you are using the same capacity Rams ( if you replacing both ).

If the System Model has changed you might have issues updating the BIOS. If you did not get the Motherboard replaced by HP I do not recommend updating the BIOS without the help of the Motherboard Manufacturer.

Thank you 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation