Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot shutdown

27a-109
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had this computer now for well over a year. It was initially ableto shutdown, but, not anymore. I'm not sure which update from HP provoked the problem but I am convinced it started after a firmware update. No BIOS update, video driver update, internet guide, nor firmware update has resolved the issue. In fact, I wonder if this model is even supported anymore. Initially, I got some help fromt the forum with the routine fixes. Tried and failed. Then, assistance came to a dramatic halt. Any help at all. I would love for shutdown and sleep to work again. Everything that can be updated has been updated. No peripherals attached. Do not know what to do. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
24,892 24,666 2,139 7,879
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot shutdown

@Carey4

If the problem is indeed related to a firmware update, there is naught we can do about that.  If it were possible to roll back the update you would have found evidence of Previous Versions for the update in the Software and Drivers Website Support portal for your computer.  If it is possible to "roll back" at all, that is, if the procedure is possible, there has to be a previous version available and listed.

Software and Drivers for your computer:

Software and Drivers - HP Pavilion 27-a100 All-in-One Desktop PC series

Reminder

Before you make changes to software / system files, create a Restore Point:

• (How to) Create Restore Point

Stop all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

Good Reference:

How to Do a System Restore of Windows 10

Delete Old Windows 10 System Restore Points to Free Up Disk Space

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There are only a limited number of things to try until you decide to investigate reloading the Operating System.  Having read your other threads, you have tried driver updates to no avail.  It is unclear whether you have attempted any "roll backs".

I can offer the following:

It might simply be that the Fast Boot database is corrupted (in some way not working correctly).

Switch off / on Fast Start / Fast Boot

Settings   > System > Power and Sleep > Additional Power Settings >

Choose what the power button does >

Click Change settings that are currently unavailable >

Remove Check (clear box) Turn on fast startup (recommended) >

Save

• Close programs (browsers, games, email, etc) and close any open windows

Windows key + X (opens a command list) > Click / Select Command Prompt (Admin) >

When the command window opens, type the following command and hit Enter:

shutdown /s /t 0

• Wait for the computer to shut down completely (a few seconds)
  • Boot the computer > Log in > Wait around for a couple of minutes (yes, wait, do not rush) >
  • Try shutting down the notebook from Windows key > Power

If all now works as expected, consider switching ON the fast boot / fast startup setting (optional)

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation