Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-0064ns
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot open BIOS by repeat F10 on startup or by entering by power/troubleshooting/UEFI.

In each case I end up with a blank screen and the need to power down. Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Do you have video when you start the PC and can you run Windows?

You should be able to get to the BIOS if hardware is okay.

Some keyboards don't initialize fast enough to enter the BIOS. 

Regards

HP Recommended

Yes it boots to windows.   Fast startup is disabled. I tried entering UEFI through Power/troubleshoot menu. Also tried flashing the bios which does show screen text so it must be possible. 

HP Recommended

Try a wired keyboard instead of wireless.

Also, try tapping ESC like a mad man as soon as you press the power button. There's a very SHORT window to invoke the boot menu.

HP Recommended

Tried ESC and ended up with a blank screen and a sore finger. Do you think disconcerting M2 would force it into bios or return it to HP under warrenty?

HP Recommended

Sorry meant disconnecting.

HP Recommended

If the PC is booting OK, and generally functioning OK, then there is no reason I can think of as to why you can't get into BIOS. That only happens when there is an issue with hardware or a corrupt BIOS. I've seen faulty HDD's make the system hang during POST, but you say it boots OK.

Perhaps you could try to update the BIOS and see if that makes any difference. Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to get into BIOS?

HP Recommended

Updated the BIOS to no effect. The need to access BIOS is to look at overclocking options.

HP Recommended

OK, well maybe try unplugging any external devices apart from the keyboard & mouse.

It's definitely an unusual one.

Also, as far as I'm aware, HP BIOS' don't allow for any overclocking of CPU or RAM.

HP Recommended

Possibly but I won't know until I enter BIOS.

Waiting for a response from HP Support at the moment but it has only been 48 hours since my report.

If they come up with an answer I'll let you know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.