Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
h8-1280t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Okay so I just recently got this new (to me, at least) PC and it works fine with the stock included hardware. Being the tinkerer that I am decided to majorly upgrade some parts and now when I insert the new graphics card, it does one single short beep. Doesn't boot, can't get into BIOS. 

Okay, so then next step being, remove card, insert old card, get into BIOS and disable Secure Boot right?

Its not even an option in the BIOS and I can't seem to find a BIOS update for my motherboard at all. The links are dead on HP website and I'm getting to the point that I think I should just try and find a new LGA2011 mobo. 

Am I missing something stupid? It really feels like I am. 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do to get that model video card to work in your PC.

Any nVidia card in the GeForce 700 series or newer, requires a version 8.xx BIOS revision, and your PC's BIOS only goes to v7.15.

You would only be able to run legacy video cards in your PC--Geforce 600 or older.

I don't know about the AMD cards, but if I had to guess, I would say the Radeon HD 6000 series or older.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do to get that model video card to work in your PC.

Any nVidia card in the GeForce 700 series or newer, requires a version 8.xx BIOS revision, and your PC's BIOS only goes to v7.15.

You would only be able to run legacy video cards in your PC--Geforce 600 or older.

I don't know about the AMD cards, but if I had to guess, I would say the Radeon HD 6000 series or older.

HP Recommended

All this horsepower and no where to go. I had a feeling that this would happen. Thank you.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you can't return the card, save it for a newer PC.

In the meantime, you may want to look for used but tested and working nVidia GT 6xx video cards on eBay.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.