Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy TE01-1114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The computer boots from a 512 GB PCle NVMe drive that is in a M.2 socket (Drive C).  I added my SATA Samsung SSD, which was the boot drive from my previous computer (Drive D).  I want to boot from my Drive D and use the current Drive C as a backup drive.  Going through the Disk Manager gives me an error "Parameter is incorrect" when I try to change Drive C to another letter.

Do I go into the BIOS?  Do I give up & move the programs from D to C (requires rebuilding the desktop for two users)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You indicate that the ssd drive is from another computer, and that you want to boot from it, so I assume that there is an operating system installed!
You may not be able to use the system anyway, since it is probably linked to the other computer.
I advise you not to modify your original system anyway.
Simply move your documents to the m2 SSD
The best is to reinstall the programs manually.
otherwise, there is software for that, if necessary I would look for it, but there I do not have time, to eat sleep work!
Then just format the SSD if you want to use it as a second drive
It's just advice, you don't have to follow it

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello
as I understand it you have an original ssd m2 drive ...
you have installed your ssd (classic) sata ...
Why do you want to use the ssd as a boot drive, you will lose performance as the m2 is faster.
What exactly is the system on the SSD?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. 

Ok, I'll go with the original SSD in the M2 socket.  I was trying to not have to manually set up two user accounts and re-enter the icons on each of the user desktop screens.  

1. How do you recommend I  transfer the data, programs & apps from the classic SSD D to the new C?

2. Would you recommend wiping D clean once the transfers are complete so it can be maximized as a backup drive?

3. I'm not sure what you mean by '...exactly is the system on the SSD." 

HP Recommended

You indicate that the ssd drive is from another computer, and that you want to boot from it, so I assume that there is an operating system installed!
You may not be able to use the system anyway, since it is probably linked to the other computer.
I advise you not to modify your original system anyway.
Simply move your documents to the m2 SSD
The best is to reinstall the programs manually.
otherwise, there is software for that, if necessary I would look for it, but there I do not have time, to eat sleep work!
Then just format the SSD if you want to use it as a second drive
It's just advice, you don't have to follow it

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.