• post a message
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Changing HP login

HP Recommended
251-a123w

Good morning.  My husband passed away and his name is attached wih HP login and I don't know the password. I'm needing to use delete his information and add mine.  What do I need to do?

Thanks

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,089 10,085 946 2,767
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you wish to use the PC as it is and only need to change the logon password because you cannot get in, then that is not a difficult task but if you wish to change everything about the user, then that is more difficult.

I recommend NTPASSWORD for a way to accomplish the password change.  It probably would be a better choice than reinstalling the Windows OS.

Here is a guide on how to use the NTPassword

https://www.lifewire.com/offline-nt-password-and-registry-editor-review-2626147

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will let you know if I was able to change.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK I can get into Windows but it's the lock screen i can't get pass.  If I walk away from the computer and come back, I can't get in because my husband expired husband email address is there.  It's shows the HP symbol.  How do I get my email into that spot? Hope I'm explaining it correctly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,089 10,085 946 2,767
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What version of Windows is this?  Windows 10, Windows 7?

Windows 10 typically will bug you about that

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It's Windows 10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,661
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> If I walk away from the computer and come back, I can't get in because my husband expired husband email address is there. 

That is the Windows "screen-saver" that is activating after a few minutes of inactivity.

So, in the "screen-saver" section, disable the option that requires a password to be entered after a few minutes of inactivity.

Or, if the current account has "administrative" privileges, you can "Add A User" (within Control Panel), to use your name.

Logoff the current account, and login to your "new" account.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation