Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
I turned my computer on this morning (hp Pavilion 20) All in one desktop and it says: Checking media presence.....media present.....start PXE over IPv6. Then it goes to a screen that says: ERROR: no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. Help!!!!!
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@pammom2, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you should do is test your hard drive using SMART from the BiOS.  Here is a guide that will help you.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

> start PXE over IPv6

That is "start the P(re) e(X)ecution E(nvironment) over I(nternet) P(rotocol) V(ersion) 6".

In some "corporate" environments, a computer can boot over the network connection, by connecting to a "boot-server".

In the "home" environment, it means that the computer tried to boot from disk-drive & CD/DVD drive & floppy-drive & USB stick.  Finding nothing "bootable" at each of those locations, it tried the "network boot".

The "Other Person" is correct -- your disk-drive either:

* has no electrical power, and thus cannot be accessed;

* is not connected via the "data" cable to the motherboard (check at both ends of the SATA cable);

* is "dead" (not spinning);

* has a corrupted file-system, such that the "boot" files can no longer be found.

If you want to peek inside your (desktop?) computer, with the power off, and the power-cable disconnected, just touch the disk-drive -- if it is not "warm", i.e,. above room-temperature, it has not been spinning (and generating some heat).

HP Recommended

I have this message appear every time I boot up.  It delays the start but it does boot up fine.

I have read the forum and every inquiry has a different suggestion to solve the problem.

I have a new HP 570-p017c PC, less than 30 days old.  It is a refurbished model so there must be previous problems.

Noww what?

HP Recommended

> I have this message appear every time I boot up.  It delays the start but it does boot up fine.

> Every inquiry has a different suggestion to solve the problem

Here's another suggestion.  Sometimes, free advice is worth exactly what you have paid for it.

Your motherboard can "boot" from several sources:

1. CD/DVD

2. disk-drive

3. USB memory-stick

4. network, using the PXE (Pre eXecution Environment)

Enter BIOS SETUP, and change the "order" of checking the above boot devices.

Move the 'disk-drive' to the top of the list, and move 'PXE' to the bottom of the list.

-----------------

Forum Rules of Participation:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage

2.  ... If you have a new question, start a new thread rather than interrupting a conversation

Thank you.

HP Recommended
I'm having a problem with my computer my computer is saying that no disc found and I have a error it will not come on anyone else having the problem no disc error what do that mean
HP Recommended
Thanks everyone for your help! Unfortunately it’s the same as it was last February and nothing seems to work.
HP Recommended

camillia46  wrote:

> my computer is saying that no disc found and I have a error

> it will not come on

> anyone else having the problem no disc error

> what do that mean 

It means that the disk-drive is "dead".

Therefore, the motherboard cannot read any files from the disk-drive.

Having this "error" mean that Windows cannot be loaded from the disk-drive.

Take your computer to a qualified computer-technician, to replace the disk-drive with something compatible, and to reinstall Windows onto the new disk-drive, to restore your computer to a working condition.

Or, if you have the technical skills, you can replace and reinstall yourself.

Your choice ? :Wink:

HP Recommended

> Unfortunately it’s the same as it was last February.

> nothing seems to work. 

Do you mean that nothing that you have tried has fixed the problem, or that the computer still is not working?

In some "corporate" environments, a computer can boot over the network connection, by connecting to a "boot-server".

In the "home" environment, it means that the computer tried to boot from disk-drive & CD/DVD drive & floppy-drive & USB stick.  Finding nothing "bootable" at each of those locations, it tried the "network boot".

The "Other Person" is correct -- your disk-drive either:

* has no electrical power, and thus cannot be accessed;

* is not connected via the "data" cable to the motherboard (check at both ends of the SATA cable);

* is "dead" (not spinning);

* has a corrupted file-system, such that the "boot" files can no longer be found.

If you want to peek inside your (desktop?) computer, with the power off, and the power-cable disconnected, just touch the disk-drive -- if it is not "warm", i.e,. above room-temperature, it has not been spinning (and generating some heat).

Your only remedy is to take the computer to a quailfied technician, for replacement of the disk-drive, and for the reinstallation of Windows onto the new disk-drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.