Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After running for 10 to 15 minutes my computer shuts off.  Replaced power adapter, ran short diagnostics, all ok,  (shuts off while running long one), scanned for viruses, nothing.   Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@StirlingFunding wrote:

Where would I purchase this heat paste,

I live in Cyprus.  

I have built several computers so I am pretty sure I can do this repair.

See: www.CyprusComputerStores.com for a list of "featured" stores.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Your computer could be overheating, and preventatively shutting-down, to prevent damage.

Check that the fans inside the computer are working.

Turn your computer off, to let it "cool" down.

On another computer, Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download it to a USB memory-stick.

Disconnect your computer from the Internet (network cable, mechanical switch to disable wireless). This will speed-up the "booting" process.

Start-up your computer.

From the memory-stick, install SPECCY, and run it, to report:

* temperature of the motherboard

* temperature of the processor

* temperature of the disk-drive

* speed (RPM) of the fan(s)

Tell us the values.

HP Recommended

Thank you I will do this.  That was my thinking as well.  I did take the back off and did see one fan on.  Not sure if there was a second fan that I missed though.  I will let you know the results.  Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Typically, there is one fan inside the power-supply (of a desktop computer),

and another fan on top of the heat-sink on top of the processor.

There might be a fan on the inside of the front panel.

With the side-panel removed, power-on the computer, and observe the fans.

You should feel the air-flow of the power-supply's fan (the hairs on your arm) and the exhausted air should be warm, not hot, to the touch.

Or, use SPECCY to report.

Note that there is "heat-paste" between the bottom of the heat-sink and the top of the processor.

If that paste dries out, it conducts less heat away from the processor.

With a little skill, you can disconnect and remove the fan & heat-sink, wipe/scrape off the old heat-paste off both the heat-sink and the processor, apply a new layer, and reassemble. Probably nothing that a "novice" should try.

Check the fans, before trying this maintenance.

HP Recommended

I ran the test.  The cpu temp was 70 c, the HD was 50 c.  This is an all in one and only has the one fan over the cpu.  I did not see a fan speed reading.  Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I ran the test.  The cpu temp was 70 c, the HD was 50 c.  This is an all in one and only has the one fan over the cpu.  I did not see a fan speed reading.  Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Where would I purchase this heat paste, Amazon, I live in Cyprus.  I have built several computers so I am pretty sure I can do this repair.

HP Recommended

@StirlingFunding wrote:

Where would I purchase this heat paste,

I live in Cyprus.  

I have built several computers so I am pretty sure I can do this repair.

See: www.CyprusComputerStores.com for a list of "featured" stores.

HP Recommended

Many thanks!

HP Recommended

Actually I was incorrect, the CPU is in the 90C range.  This seems too hot to me.  Am I correct?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.