Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 510-a010a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In an effort to improve the performance of my desktop, I planned on upgrading the existing 1TB Toshiba Mechanical disk drive to a Samsung 500GB SSD 860 EVO.  I connected the SSD to a USB port and used the Samsung software to clone the Mechanical drive to the SSD.  This seemed to be successful as I was able to see the SSD with all of the files from the Mechanical drive.  I then removed the SATA cables from the Mechanical drive and connected them to the SSD.  After doing this, the computer seems to hang at "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu".  No amount of pressing the ESC key allows access to the Startup Menu.  When I move the SATA cables back to the Mechanical Drive, the computer starts up correctly.  I also attempted to boot from the SSD while it was connected to the USB port, but the computer always seemed to boot from the Mechanical drive.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@7thbeatle,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting to Windows when you connect the SSD.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link connect the mechanical hard drive and then install the SSD and check whether the computer boots to Windows.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-510-a000-desktop-pc-series/11926417/mod...

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you 

HP Recommended

@7thbeatle 

I understand your concerns.

Access BIOS and change the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE

Here's an article that should guide you through the steps: Click here

please complete the data backup before you proceed,

There's an alternate option of changing AHCI to IDE and resolve this concern,

Steps to change from AHCI to IDE mode:

1. Close all running programs and Press Windows Key + R, type regedit and press Enter.
If you are prompted by User Account Control dialog box, click Continue/Yes.

2. Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide

3. In the right pane, right-click on Start entry and select Modify…

4. In Value data box, put the value 0 (instead of 3) and then click OK.
Exit from Registry Editor and Restart computer.

5. Go to your BIOS Settings during the start up of your system and enable IDE there, Save & Reboot

During driver installation, your system will restart again.

(The above suggestions are from 3rd party sources and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond by support boundaries, if you do not wish to continue, I must notify that you would need to contact Samsung support as the computer only crashes when its connected to the SSD and works fine otherwise).

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Thank you Praveen196.  When I checked:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide

I found that 'Start entry' already had a value of 0.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to change 'SATA Emulation'.  It has the value 'AHCI' and I can't seem to change it to anything else.  When I pressed F1 for help, I only saw one option: 1. AHCI

Do you know why I can't change 'SATA Emulation' to be IDE?

HP Recommended

@7thbeatle It could be either because the drive you've added is not compatible or it's not working, maybe you can connect the SSD into an alternate device and check if that works, 

If you don't have an alternate device to test the SSD, please run an extensive hardware test on the device:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you 

HP Recommended

@7thbeatle,

Thank you for the information.

If the new drive is also not working on the computer and it might not be compatible with your computer. I recommend you try installing a lower capacity drive and check if it getting detected on the computer.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.