cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
e_ivie24
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

Computer will not respond

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7357c Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows XP

MODEL NUMBER: EL407AA-ABA

I recently received this computer from my father. He's never had much of a problem with it, but only about 3 weeks after getting it, I can't get it to boot.

Here's the run-down: The computer is running Windows XP Professional with SP3 installed. (We couldn't locate the original recovery media or a CD for WXP Media Center, which is the edition that originally came with the computer, so we just installed Pro.) I have Avast Premium anti-virus, VLC Media Player, Mozilla Firefox,  and Call of Duty: World at War installed, which was a graphics test. These are pretty much the only third-party programs that I have installed, like I said, I just got it three weeks ago.

Anyway, yesterday, we had a power outage at the house. I disconnected the computer from the wall when it happened. When the power came back on, however, and I plugged the PC back into the wall, the fan started running at full speed, and the blue power light was on, but showed no hard-drive activity. I decided to give it a few minutes to prepare itself, but the fan and power light never turned off, even after an hour and a half.

I unplugged all my devices (speakers, mouse and keyboard, monitor, and USB Wireless adapter), and plugged only the wall cable in. Same result.

Today I tried it again both ways, and the exact same thing happened. The fans continuously spin, and the power light stays on with no hard-drive activity whatsoever.  Pressing the power button has no effect and it won't boot. Can someone please help?

(Sorry for such a long question, just wanted to give info!)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,267 18,893 2,920 9,293
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@e_ivie24, welcome to the forum.

I believe that you didn't get the computer disconnected from the outlet soon enough and it was hit by a power surge.  This could have damaged the power supply unit (PSU) or other components, including the motherboard.  Since the computer has been retired by HP there isn't much information available.

I have to be honest with you.  The computer is 13 years old.  I wouldn't recommend spending very much money on it.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
1 REPLY 1
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,267 18,893 2,920 9,293
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@e_ivie24, welcome to the forum.

I believe that you didn't get the computer disconnected from the outlet soon enough and it was hit by a power surge.  This could have damaged the power supply unit (PSU) or other components, including the motherboard.  Since the computer has been retired by HP there isn't much information available.

I have to be honest with you.  The computer is 13 years old.  I wouldn't recommend spending very much money on it.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation