cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hognfrog
3 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Computer won't stay on, it turns itself on and off until I manually shut it down.

HP Recommended
HP8-1240t
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I turn on the computer and it will turn itself on and off and continues to cycle on and off until I manually shut it down.

Last time I used it, it worked fine. Now I can't even get it to stay on long enough to do anything it cycles off and then on again within a couple of seconds???

2 REPLIES 2
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It could be a dead fan, causing quick overheating.

The motherboard reacts by shutting-down, and, unfortunately, rebooting.

Remove the side-panel, and check that the fans (1 inside the power-supply, 1 atop the processor) are working.

Luke, feel the force (of the warm air being exhausted), as another way of confirming that the fan(s) are working.

0 Kudos
savvy2
Level 7
1,432 1,383 40 124
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

disktop

shuts down,

PSU fan dead,?  see that from the rear of pSU it must spin and blow air.

same with CPU, must  spin blow air and not have 7  years of lent on that heat sink fits of CPU. 

or bad PSU.

there are other reasons above is top.

(other reasons, thinks inside the PC shorting out)

we strip it down , do the PSU jumper wire test.

then unload it, ram out but 1, tested 1 by 1,

remove drives, power wires, to hdd and dvd to see if they are shorted.

The fans spinning fast only tells you 12vdc is good in the PSU not all others.

NO warranty answers by me.
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation