Level 4
120 69 3 4
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Computer wont boot with new graphics card and RAM

HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-336
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just installed a new graphics card in my computer and the computer wouldn't boot.  I think I went through the proper steps.  First I went into the UEFI/ bios (not sure which one it's called) and I disabled secure boot.  Next, I disabled the on board graphics.  Third, I shut down and installed the new graphics card.  Next, when I booted up, I could see the processor fan and the case fan turning on and off.  The fans would turn on for something like 4 seconds and then turn off.  This kept repeating until I forced the power off by holding down the power button.

8 REPLIES 8
Levi_J
Level 2
Level 2
22 22 1 1
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What is the graphics card and RAM you added? 

There may be a power consumption issue for the card.

As for the added RAM, that could also be causing the system not to POST.

I'm an HP Employee
0 Kudos
RasterBlaster
Level 11
Level 11
2,604 2,587 187 712
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You shouldn,t need to disable graphics in BIOS anymore - should be automatic. Here are the things I would do in your situation:

Leave the new memory in - maybe remove and reseat again.... and then pull the graphics card back out and hook video back up to onboard. See it if it boots.

If it boots - you know it is related to graphics.

If not, put the old memory back in.

So... deal with each part separately to find which piece of hardware is causing the boot issue.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
0 Kudos
Silverthunder
Author
Level 4
120 69 3 4
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Graphics card is a visiontek Radeon RX550

No, there is no power consumption issue, according to power usage of my components, per the manufacturers.

What do you mean "not to POST" (I don't get any relevant results when I Google this)?

0 Kudos
Silverthunder
Author
Level 4
120 69 3 4
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have already established that the computer boots with just the new RAM and I have established that it boots with just the graphics card.  I was using the computer with the RAM for some time before I even bought the graphics card.

0 Kudos
Silverthunder
Author
Level 4
120 69 3 4
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What does reseat mean?

Also, what do you mean we don't need to disable graphics card in the bios?  I never stated that I had done that.

0 Kudos
RasterBlaster
Level 11
Level 11
2,604 2,587 187 712
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

By "POST", Levi is talking about that portion of the boot cycle - the post phase, when devices are being recognized/set up.

I simply meant that onboard graphics might not need to be shut off in BIOS - not graphics card. Sorry about that. Might be a good idea to reset your BIOS setting to default to see if your hardware magically works. And by reseat, it simply means pull the card and put it in again.

So.. to be clear....

you can use the new memory with onboard graphics successfully.

You can use the new graphics card with the old memory successfully.

Using the new memory with the new graphics card fails every time?

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
0 Kudos
Silverthunder
Author
Level 4
120 69 3 4
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I actually ended up boxing up the graphics card tonight with the plan to return it to the store tomorrow.  The troubleshooting difficulty that we are going through was not the main reason for me wanting to return the graphics card.

We will be able to see how things function when I try a different graphics card.  But, that wont be for a while.

I learned what post and reseat mean from this thread.  Thank you for that.

I am wary of resetting the bios right now because I was reading in another thread that since my computer started as a Windows 8.1 machine and then I upgraded to Windows 10 that I probably should haven't turned off secure boot.  Now that I have turned off secure boot, it may not be able to be turned back without causing problems.  

MrRobot's response on 9-21-17 in this thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/No-monitor-input-after-disabling-secure-boot/m...

0 Kudos
Silverthunder
Author
Level 4
120 69 3 4
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried a different ram chip and the problem persists.  Although interestingly enough the computer did boot up once perfectly fine with this different ram chip.  But, I only kept the computer on for about 10 minutes and then I couldn't get it to boot again.

So here are the replacement ram chips that I have tried:

Adata XPG AX3U1600C4G11-SD (DDR3 1600 MHz) 2 x 4GB

PNY MD16GK2D31600NHS (DDR3 1600 MHz) 1 x 8GB

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation