Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DVI port don't show post screen but windows screen

hp 280 g2
Linux

I have problems duing booting time when i use DVI port i'm not able to select boot menu when i use DVI port but using VGA port nothing wrong.

When i boot to windows 10 the screen is black until i see the blue window ico.. not able to select boot menu

The same.. boot to Linux Mint blank screen until Mint ico show up  not able to go to boot menu

When i use VGA port I can select and go to boot menu.

Is there a setting in boot menu i have to change to make DVI as the default port. ??

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your computer's specifications show three possible graphics adapters:

Integrated:

* AMD Integrated HD graphics varies by processor

Discrete:

* AMD Radeon R5 320 1GB GDDR5 PCIe x8 (optional, selected countries only)
* NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 2GB PCIe x8 (optional, selected countries only)

Which adapter do you have?

When booting, is there any monitor connected to the VGA port, or solely one connected to the DVI port?

It's possible that the graphics adapter "prefers" the VGA port, when it detects that something is connected.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Linux show    Graphics: Card: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics.   It is an integrated graphic card.

There is no monitor connected to VGA.. I only use DVI port. My monitor have a VGA port and HDMI port. I use an adapter cable  DVI-D to HDMI for connection.

Maybe the graphics adapter don't see the monitor through the, DVI to HDMI adapter cable when booting, but the graphics driver in the OS (both Linux and Windows 10) select DVI port.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  There is no monitor connected to VGA [on the motherboard]

> My monitor [has] a VGA port.

Unless you have an extremely-high-definition monitor, e.g., more than 1920-by-1080, why not use a VGA-to-VGA cable?

I doubt that the graphics adapter in your computer will support more than 1920-by-1080.

What's the manufacturer and model-number of your monitor?

Is there integrated graphics on your computer, or an add-in PCI/PCI-E graphics adapter ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Monitor is Philips  model 244E1SB. You are right the max resolution is 1920 x1080. 

I have a VGA to VGA cable but use it on another computer.

The graphic card is intergrated  "Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics"

There is no add-in card in any slots (Sound,graphic,network ect..) only use the integrated

See photo off Motherboard

Motherboard.jpeg

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation