Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello --

My HP Envy Phoenix computer and HP Envy 27" monitor are a few years old and while there have been some issues over the years, necessitating some computer repairs, the monitor never gave me trouble except for the past few months, there's an issue when I start it up -- there is a dark patch in the lower right-hand corner, and sometimes another one on the bottom of the screen toward center.

Usually turning the monitor off and back on gets rid of this, but what is the larger issue here? Is there monitor starting to 'go'? Is there a way to fix it? Could this somehow be a software issue? Seems unlikely, but maybe....

I know that there was a thread about this a couple of years ago, but I think it was about notebooks, not desktop monitors.

Please advise,

thanks.

--Richard

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@doubleosix 

Growing areas of discoloration are an indication that the monitor is failing.  I ran into this a few years back with a Dell monitor and when I went to price the repairs, they were more than replacing the monitor with a new one with a larger screen and higher resolution.

You could get a repair estimate if you want, but my guess is that you would get the same results.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @Wawood --

That's what I suspected --- as I mentioned in my OP, it does seem as though the monitor is starting to 'go', i.e. fail...

What's weird is that all I have to do is turn it off and then back on, and the patch (or patches) disappear.

The whole system is only a few years old; I imagine both the computer and monitor are out of warranty, but jeez.... it seems they should last longer than this, with normal wear and tear!!

thanks again,

RS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.