Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
model p6550z
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

The problem started a few days ago. All of a sudden I was not able to get my PC out of sleep mode after it had been idle for a while. The monitor would be black, mouse /keyboard not working. I would end up force shutting it down. The when I turned it back on it was fine. Yesterday when I tried to turn my computer on in the morning it raced like crazy and then turned off on it's own. While it was racing, the monitor would flash for a moment that there was no signal but mouse and keyboard would not turn on. I tried cleaning the whole thing out, I re-seated the graphics card and the RAM and I even tried taking out the PSU and getting as much dust out of it as I could without opening the case (couldn't figure out how to open case anyway). I have discovered that when the RAM is in the original 2 front slots the PC races and then stops after about 5 seconds. When I remove the RAM completely the PC just keeps racing and beeps of course. If I put the RAM in the last 2 slots that have never been used the PC does not turn off but it still races and the monitor, mouse & keyboard do not work. The RAM is just two sticks of 2 GB. 

I know, long story, but if someone could shed some light on the problem it would be greatly appreciated. Since the PC is an older one I would assume if the problem is the motherboard I would be better off just getting a new PC. Is there any hope for my faithful old friend?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Leonore,

You're very welcome.

Sorry to hear that.

A new PC is an option.

New DDR3 RAM for this PC would not work in a new PC using DDR4 RAM.

It can be very expensive to troubleshoot PC problems because you need to swap in known good components.

It is usually less expensive to have a local PC Tech diagnose the problem or spend the money on a new PC.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Don't try to disassemble the power supply; this action could be hazardous to your health.

The PC beeps when you remove the RAM. This may be a good sign.

It could mean the motherboard is okay but you have a RAM problem.

Try one stick of RAM in each slot. Then start the PC each time to see if it will Power On Self Test.

Let the forum know if you can POST.

You may have to replace one or both sticks of RAM if the RAM is the cause of this problem.

It could be a different component. You have to troubleshoot one component at a time.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Yes I can post, luckily I  had purchased a lap top about a year ago. However I do like my desktop more.

I have already tried putting one RAM in a slot and then trying the other one and they both did the same thing. When I powered  it on it raced for about 5 seconds and then turned off.  So I get the same response with either one or both RAM's. Like I mentioned before, the only time it changes is if I put the RAM in the last two slots (blue color). Then when I turn it on, the PC races but never turns off on it's own. However, the monitor, mouse and keyboard don't turn on with that configuration. 

I hate the thought of spending money on new RAM if that isn't the problem. But I guess I'll have to bite the bullet since all the other extra RAM in our house is the wrong kind.

I am assuming it could not be a simple fix like a new battery? 

HP Recommended

Hi Leonore,

It would not hurt to try a new CR2032 motherboard battery.

You never know the cause until you investigate all options.

Regards

HP Recommended

Well the battery didn't work. I was all set to buy new RAM but everyone told me I should just get a new PC since this one is older. So I am seriously thinking of doing that. Thank you for your help. If I end up getting the RAM I'll let you know if it worked.

HP Recommended

Hi Leonore,

You're very welcome.

Sorry to hear that.

A new PC is an option.

New DDR3 RAM for this PC would not work in a new PC using DDR4 RAM.

It can be very expensive to troubleshoot PC problems because you need to swap in known good components.

It is usually less expensive to have a local PC Tech diagnose the problem or spend the money on a new PC.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.