Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Desktop Black Screening after HP Logo

HP ENVY 750-100 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While playing some games with the Steam launcher, I attempted to fullscreen a game, which left me with a black screen but with audio. After trying all escape routes from the game (ALT tab, task manager, etc) I forced a restart. Upon rebooting, my desktop would Black screen just after the HP logo, leaving me with no error messages, mouse, or keyboard. I tried the quick fix option but that didn't work. Next steps?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Desktop Black Screening after HP Logo

@DMoore99

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I came across your post and would like to help. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 750-100 Desktop PC. I read that after exiting from the game which played half screen, the laptop now powers on and the display is blank. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

The evidence points towards a display drivers issue. However, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Press and hold the power button on the PC until it powers off.
  • Disconnect the power cord and all other cables and devices from the PC.
  • Press and hold the power button on the PC for 10 seconds. This will release any static energy.
  • Reconnect the power cord, keyboard, mouse and the monitor.
  • Power on the PC.

If the issue persists then let us reinstall the display drivers from the recovery partition. The following steps will help:

• Turn off the computer.

• Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.

Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.

• Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key about once every second until the Choose an option screen is displayed, and then continue.

Figure : Choose an option with Troubleshoot selected

Choose an option with Troubleshoot selected

• On the Troubleshoot screen, click Recovery Manager.

Figure : Troubleshoot with Recovery Manager selected

Troubleshoot screen with Recovery Manager selected

• Under Help, click Reinstall drivers and/or applications and wait for Recovery Manager to generate a list.

Figure : Recovery Manager

Recovery Manager opening screen

• A combined list of applications and drivers to reinstall appears, with the drivers listed first.

Figure : Example of the list of drivers to reinstall

List of drivers to reinstall

From this list you may choose to reinstall the display graphic drivers and continue with the installation.

Secondly, you may attempt a Microsoft Push Button Reset if the issue persists. This repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This can be done either while preserving your personal data and customizations, or removing all your personal data.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know. Good luck! 🙂

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation