Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI. I tried to start my computer but then it shows the HP logo and a clicking sound started to come from my hard drive. Then a black screen shows up saying Error: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. I've tried all the solutions, from rearranging the boot order, to opening up my computer case and disconnecting and reconnecting the wires. None of them have worked. I am wondering if there is a solution or if my hard drive is broken and i will have to replace it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@legend5165

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Please follow the instructions in this link to test the drive:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If that is not possible, as is the case where the BIOS is too old to offer that function, then do the following:
1) When rebooting the PC, keep pressing F2 repeatedly.  That should eventually bring up a Diagnostics menu.
2) Select the option to test the hard drive.

If the diagnostics fail, your drive has failed and will need to be replaced.

Please post back with the results.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@legend5165

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Please follow the instructions in this link to test the drive:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If that is not possible, as is the case where the BIOS is too old to offer that function, then do the following:
1) When rebooting the PC, keep pressing F2 repeatedly.  That should eventually bring up a Diagnostics menu.
2) Select the option to test the hard drive.

If the diagnostics fail, your drive has failed and will need to be replaced.

Please post back with the results.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

It said that the hard drive isn't connect/it failed. Thanks for the information!

HP Recommended

> Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

> Error: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed

How old is the disk-drive?  Is the original HP Warranty still active?

If so, HP will replace the "I-am-doing-the-clicks-of-death" disk-drive, at no cost to you.

If not, then you're on your own, to buy/connect a new disk-drive.

Since your computer was running Windows 10, find a working computer with either one empty DVD-recordable disk or one empty 8GB USB memory-stick, and see: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

to download Windows 10.  Your computer has a "digital entitlement" to reinstall Windows 10, at any time, at no cost, onto the same computer.  Changing the disk-drive does not make it a "non-same" computer.

When installing, and prompted for the 25-character product-key, just click "I do not have one".

When Windows connects to the Internet, it will "call home" and will automatically activate.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.