Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
17 9 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Desktop PC occasionally cuts out & restarts.

HP Desktop 260-a160na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My desktop PC is about 4 months old, but occasionally just shuts down and restarts for no obvious reason? It has happened about 3 times now.

I have the latest windows 10 updates, latest BIOS, and have HP support assistant set to automatically install important/recommended updates.

Please can someone advise me on how to locate what may be going on? I have been having a look at the event viewer, but I am not really quite sure what to be looking out for? I am not sure if it is relevant, but I note that the following happened at around 18:08 yesterday on the Windows Logs>System, when it happened last, HttpEvent 15300, HttpEvent 15301, & then several entries of DistributedCOM 10016?

It may be of further help, that automatic maintenance appears to have run as well, just prior to this shutdown.

Like I mentioned previously, it has only happened about 3 times in total, and not really a huge problem, but I would like to try & solve what is going on.

Thank you for your time.

Ian. 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,581 14,559 933 932
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Ian32uk

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I understand that your Desktop restarted 3 times randomly.

I wouldn't worry too much about it since it doesn't seem to be a Hardware issue. Sometimes an update might disrupt the OS and cause it to reboot. Mostly Windows fixes all the bugs automatically but if this issue keeps happening, then I would request you to backup your data and perform a Microsoft Push Button Reset.

1. In Windows, search for and open Reset this PC.

2. Click the Recovery tab. Under Reset this PC, click Get started.

Figure : Clicking the Get Started button

Clicking the Get started button

Figure : Keep my files or Remove everything options

Keep my files or Remove everything options
  3. If you want to keep your personal files, apps, and customizations, click Keep my files, then click Reset. Your computer reinstalls the operating system and your computer restarts.

NOTE: During the reset process, your apps will be removed. Many of the apps will be reinstalled from the Store. However, if you have apps that are not available from the Store, a message displays a list of those apps. You will need to reinstall those apps from the web or from installation discs. This list will appear on your desktop after you reset your computer.

Figure : Your apps will be removed message

Your apps will be removed message
  4. If you want to remove all your personal files, apps, and settings, click Remove everything and continue to the next step.

5. If you only want to remove everything from the drive where Windows is installed, click Only the drive where Windows is installed. If you want to remove all files from the computer, click All drives.

Figure : File removal options

File removal options
  6. You can fully clean the drive, so that no files are recoverable, or you can delete your files.

Figure : Do you want to clean your drives, too? message

Do you want to clean your drives, too? message
    • If you want to delete your files, click Just remove my files.

• If you want to clean the drive, click Remove files and clean the drive.

7. Click Reset to confirm and begin the reset process.

Figure : Clicking Reset

Clicking the Reset button

Windows reinstalls the operating system and the computer restarts.

Keep me posted if you need help

Thank you. 🙂

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

Highlighted
Level 1
17 9 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad,

Thank you for the reply.

I will see how it goes for the time being, but will follow your advice if the unexpected shutdowns become a regular thing.

Thank you again.

Ian.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,247 6,228 313 458
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Ian32uk,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

It looks like you were interacting with @KrazyToad, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> My desktop PC is about 4 months old, but occasionally just shuts down and restarts for no obvious reason.

> It has happened about 3 times now.

If you purchase a brand-new automobile, and it "aborts" while driving it, would you try to repair it, or would you exercise the manufacturer's warranty to get the local dealership to repair the vehicle?

Similarly, before you take the "drastic" approach suggested by the Other Person, which is a valid "self-service" recommendation, why not contact HP, and exercise the HP Warranty that you received about 4 months ago, when you purchased the HP computer, to get them to make the repairs?

Use the "Contact HP" hyperlink near the bottom-left of this web-page.

Highlighted
Level 1
17 9 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi mdklassen,

Thank you for your input, and I will certainly keep the warrany option in mind! 

Ian.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation