Level 1
3 1 0 2
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Desktop PC will not start from "cold"

Pavilion Slimline s5311uk
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

PC has recently stopped responding to casing power switch.  The symptom is limited to a "cold" start situation ie where system has had mains power switched off at wall socket (say overnight).  After 15-30 mins with power supply switched on (green power LED on steady) the machine will start normally and can be shutdown and re-started normally with no system alarms or on screen error messages.  Have tried replacing CMOS battery with no change (old battery tests OK). Also hard reset-no change.  Could this be a temperature issue with the power supply input circuits?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Chris-j-h

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion Slimline s5311uk Desktop PC and it does not power on instantly after you press the power button the PC. I read that after 15-30 minutes with the power switched on, the PC will start and boot into Windows. Post that the PC can be restarted normally and shut down without any issues. You have replaced the CMOS battery and have performed a hard reset and issue still persists. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Was there any hardware change made to the PC after which this issue may have started?
  • Did any power surge take place?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

NOTE: if you have hard reset the PC in the below format then you may skip the steps to hard reset the PC and continue further. 

• Power off the PC.
  • Disconnected all cables from the PC (including the power cable).
  • Press and hold the power button on the PC for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the keyboard, mouse and the monitor and the power cable.
  • Power ON the PC.

If the PC continues to have similar issues then I suggest you to refer to this HP Guided Troubleshooting Solution.

Alternately toy may refer to this HP Document for detailed steps. NOTE: You may skip steps mentioned for "Power supply fan is noisy or having interference."

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
3 1 0 2
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

regarding recent hardware changes - i have swapped the installed dvd burner drive for a pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x sata drive which has been operating fine since early february, ie prior to the symptoms on start up.  similarly the installed tv card was replaced with a 4 port usb2 card "pexusb4dp" from "startech".  This also operated successfully for at least a month before the start up symptoms occurred.  Should note that the system started from cold today without issue.  Will post again if symptoms re-appear. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Chris-j-h

Thanks for replying with the information. 

Sure, keep me posted about any changes. Good luck! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> PC has recently stopped responding to power switch on the computer's case.

I understand that replacing the power-supply has eliminated this symptom.  Well done!

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation