Level 2
32 17 1 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Desktop Reboots at least once per day

Pavilion 500-164
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop reboots at least once per day.  I was getting an error message at morning boot that the cpu fan was not detected but if I turned it off and restarted it would restart.  It would not reboot until later in the day.  I took the unit into a repair shop and had it cleaned and a new cpu fan installed.  Of course, I don't get the detection error anymore.  I know it needed cleaning and guessed that was causing the reboot due to overheating but now it is clean and I still get the reboot about once per day.  Is there a log that I may look at which might exlain whats going on? I happened to be at the computer when it rebooted today and there was a pop followed by the reboot.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,165 2,441
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bluefire,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding issues with the computer restarting randomly. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and spectacular troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after any recent power outage or surge?
  • Did you check if it restarts in the bios or while running diagnostics?

For now, try these steps:

• Run complete system diagnostics on the computer from this link: http://hp.care/2ELocDx (HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures)
  • Follow the option “Run the Extensive Test (2 hours or more)”
  • If the computer restarts during the diagnostics or a component fails, then make a note of the failure code for the failed part and contact the local technician to get the computer repaired.
  • If diagnostics pass, then perform all the relevant steps from this link: http://hp.care/2EM5xrf (HP PCs - The Computer Restarts Unexpectedly (Windows 10, 😎
  • Now check if the issue gets fixed. Good Luck and keep me posted.
  • If it still restarts, then there could be a hardware issue and there could be more to it than meets the eye and the repair technician needs to check its hardware comprehensively.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
32 17 1 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have taken it to a computer repair shop.  They have had it for several days.  If they can't figure it out I will follow your advice and see if that helps.  Thanks for your response and I will keep you informed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,165 2,441
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bluefire,

I have reviewed the post.  It is great to have you back. Your time and patience are greatly appreciated. You've displayed great commitment, good technical expertise and immaculate attitude to try and fix the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

I hope it comes back great from repair and works great for a long time. Based on your first post I gave the steps that should have resolved the issue as long as there is no hardware issue with the computer. Now trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. You've been a valued HP customer. It has been an absolute honor to share this platform with you and fabulous to work with you.:)

If this helps,  to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
32 17 1 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got it back from the computer repairman.  He said they ran diagnostics on the hardware and also ran virus and malware checkers and found no hardware problems but deleted  a bunch of adware and malware and also added thermal paste I suppose to the fan they replaced on the previous visit.  This morning I turned it on before going to church.  When I got home a few hours later it appeared that it had rebooted because the initial screen where you sign in was on.  I proceeded to do the extensive test as you recommended.  After 4 hours the first test "Long Drive Self Test" was only 4% complete.  That's where it stands right now.  I will let it run a few more hours but when you see this post , let me know it that is unusual.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bluefire

Hi,

as @DavidSMP is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

Yes, you may let the test run for some more time. However, in 4hours if the test has completed only 4% then that raises a suspicion on the hard drive, But let us wait until the test progresses and see what is there for us ahead.

Secondly, a hard drive extensive test may take up to 6-8 hours maximum to finish in some rare cases. 

I'll watch out for your response. Feel free to reply. 

Good luck! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
32 17 1 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The long Drive Self test ran slightly over 8 hours and past.  I let the tesling run overnight.   The IRQ and ROM tests both failed.  No error ID showed on the results page.  When I examined the logs however an error code showed up on last line for both was 990301 and I noted that during the test the Atheron device was not found.  I believe that is the wireless card.  It shows up as working in Device Manager.  I think some time in the past a new driver was pushed for this device and I did not choose to install it since I am not using wireless for my connection to the network.  Could that some way cause the reboot?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> The IRQ and ROM tests both failed. 

Based on other posts to this forum, I believe that the "testing" routines for IRQ/ROM are faulty.

Did the repair shop experiment with a different power-supply?

It's probably not the first thing that they would have tried.

If they did not try it, then it might be worthwhile to try.

If it solves your problem, that's great.

Highlighted
Level 2
32 17 1 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tried everything else first and then replaced the power supply.  So far, So gooe!!.   If it reboots as before i will get back on the forum and disclose.  I think it is resolved at this point.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation