Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Desktop Rev's up When starting or shutting down

HP Recommended
Enoy Phoenix
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get no error message computer when starting or shutting down will Rev up big time sounds like it is going to take off, sometimes if you let it run it will go back to normal usally, I just reboot, sometimes several times to get it to stop.  Very frequent event

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,103 6,088 575 1,292
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings arley16,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

I have worked on some Phoenix systems having the same symptom.

All PCs, when powering on, will rev up any fans connected to the motherboard.

Try setting the BIOS to defaults. Pull the CR2032 motherboard battery. Then let the PC rest for about 10 minutes.

Check your PC's HP Support site for a BIOS update which may correct this problem.

You have not provided a specific product number so I don't know what the factory operating system was.

But I did note this problem may be related to updating an older (2012 or 2013) Phoenix PC to Windows 10.  So when did this problem start? And did you have this problem when running say, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,659
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@arley16 wrote:

Computer when starting or shutting down will Rev up big time sounds like it is going to take off, sometimes if you let it run it will go back to normal usally.

Perfectly normal.

When you power-on the computer, the fan(s) initially run at 100% of their maximum speed, with accompanying maximum noise. Soon after, when the motherboard measures the temperature of the processor, and of the motherboard, and determines that everything is literally "cool", it will tell the fan to slow down (and be more quiet), because not all that much cooling is required.

When you shutdown Windows, Windows does a lot of work, to achieve a "normal shutdown".

This work drives-up the temperature of the processor.

The motherboard notices the increased temperature, and speeds-up the fan (not being able to tell that the computer is performing its normal "shutdown" processes). The fan generates more noise, until Windows tells the motherboard to do the actual "shutdown".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for answering It is a model 810-150se.   I belive machine came with 8.0 than I upgraded to 8.1 than of course windows 10. It did not do this when I was running windows 8.1 not sure when it started but after I installed windows 10 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,103 6,088 575 1,292
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi arley16

You're very welcome.

Having system fans or CPU fans randomly go berserk is not normal. I have experienced this phenomena on an 810-150. It sounds like a jet just flew by your home.

I build systems. None of my builds do this when running Windows 10.

I worked on an 810-150se in 2016 which had the same problem when the PC was running W10.

The 810 was released for sale by HP in 2013.

The CPU fan would occasionally freak out after a reboot. This seemed to frequently happen after a W10 update.

Could never find the cause.

A second reboot would usually fix the problem.

HP is not supporting W10 on the 150se. It just missed the support cutoff point.

All you can do is live with this, go back to W8.1, or it is possible the AIO liquid cooling system may be in trouble.

Have you checked CPU temps when the radiator fan kicks into high gear? Or take a look at Task Manager to see if you have a runaway Window's or some other process consuming excess CPU cycles.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,659
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> The CPU fan would occasionally freak out after a reboot.

> This seemed to frequently happen after a W10 update.

> Could never find the cause.

Measure, measure, measure.

In Windows 10 (and 7), after Windows Update completes, before it reboots, start the Windows Task Manager.

You'll notice significant processor usage (50% on a "dual-core" system, 25% on a "quad-core" system) and significant disk-drive usage, for several minutes.  This usage will soon drop to "zero".

Then, after the reboot, start the Windows Task Manager again, and view the "Processes".

You'll find that the Microsoft Windows Defender anti-virus is scanning many of those "new" files that have appeared.

Of course, this significant level of processing heats-up the CPU, and the motherboard speeds-up the fan, and the fan generates more noise.

Perfectly normal to "roar like a lion", briefly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,103 6,088 575 1,292
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi arley16

Hope you get the "normal" sounds like a jet just passed your home intermittent PC problem fixed.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,659
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@arley16 wrote:

It is a model 810-150se.  

I believe machine came with 8.0 than I upgraded to 8.1 then of course windows 10.

It did not do this when I was running windows 8.1

not sure when it started but after I installed windows 10 

From: HP ENVY Phoenix 810-150se Product Specifications and Configurable Options

Model name and product number for this HP CTO ("configure to order") model:
• HP ENVY Phoenix: 810-150se
• Product number: E3W48AV

Introduction date: 6-Nov-2013

Country/region sold in: United States

Power output wattage: 600 Watt

Processor  -- must select one of the following options:

• Intel Core i7-4820K (Ivy Bridge-E) (130W) 3.7 GHz
• Intel Core i7-4930K (Ivy Bridge-E) (130W) 3.4 GHz
• Intel Core i7-4960X (Ivy Bridge-E) (130W) 3.6 GHz

Memory - must select one of the following options:
• 12 GB (1 x 8 GB + 1 x 4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800
• 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800
• 24 GB (2 x 8 GB + 2 x 4 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800
• 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 [maximum]

Disk Cache:  16 GB SSD

Operating System- must select one of the following options:
• Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
• Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit)

That was quite a high-performance computer, back in November 2013, and quite capable of generating "heat".

Note that HP states that all HP computers marketed after August 2013 have been tested for compatibility with Windows 10.

When is the most-recent time when you opened it up, and cleaned out the last 4.5 years accumulation of dust (both inside the power-supply and inside the rest of the computer) ?  Doing so can make it run "cooler".

Have you used free software, such as SPECCY, to report the internal temperatures (motherboard, processor, disk-drive) ?

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation