Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Desktop freezes at start up on windows screen

Hi mallomarrs

Please provide the specific HP product number for help.

You may have updated to Windows 10 version 1709 and things are not going well.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 2 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Product # BV544AA.  Was working OK with Windows 10 for some time.  No recent changes of any kind made to the system.  This is the first time the freeze happened.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the additional info.

HP released your product for sale in 2010.

HP is not providing Windows 10 driver support for your PC.

My guess is your PC may have tried to update to Windows 10, version 1709 and it has failed. It could also be a failed Microsoft quality rollup update.

I see two possible options:

1. You could try a repair if you have USB Windows installation media or created a Microsoft Recovery drive for the version of Windows 10 you were running. You can download the latest version of Windows 10 here and create USB installation media.

Then try a repair using this media. The current version 1709 media may not work if you don't have a failed Windows 10 version 1709 update.

2. You may have to go back to Windows 7.

You will lose data so I hope you had an external data backup plan in place. You may be able to get the data before any repair/reinstallation actions by installing the HDD as a data drive on another PC or use a SATA/USB disk caddy.

Tom

Highlighted
4 2 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi and Thanks for the reply.  I was able to get to an advanced diagnostic screen that allowed me to reset to default settings while keeping my data (I am backed up to an external HD) and re-installing Windows 10.  The process took awhile to run but it appears to have worked.  I believe your diagnosis was correct about Windows 10 so thanks for that.  The only downside is that I have to reinstall apps added since 2010! 

Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You are welcome. Happy to help you.

A clean install removes previously installed software and apps.

You may go through process again if it was caused by Windows 10, version 1709 and you reinstalled an earlier version of Windows 10. If you just clean installed version 1709 and you are stable that is a very good thing.

Microsoft is going to push 1709 again if you installed an earlier version of Windows 10. You can't stop this.

Tom

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation