Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Desktop freezes on HP logo

7z1500
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
When computer is turned on the HP logo is the first thing to show and that’s all it does. Will not boot and will not get to anything else. F10 does nothing.
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Well, you have video and the system appears to have power. But it is not completing a POST.

Have you tried tapping "ESC'"as soon as you power on the system? Then run full system diagnostics (if you can) from the HP Startup Menu.

I can't locate 7z1500 as a valid HP product. I have no idea if you have a Desktop, an AIO, or a Notebook PC. Additional troubleshooting depends on what type of device you have.

Go to this HP site (Link). Download and create a HP Hardware Diagnostics 4-in-1 USB key on a working PC. Try booting to this device so you can run diagnostics

Again, this is only going to work if you can boot to this device. No system function other than video could be bad RAM, or HDD, or faulty integrated motherboard components. And you cannot rule out the PSU as a possible cause.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.  I have trouble seeing but the HP is a p7-1500z desktop.  I tried the tapping of thr esc key and it continues to show the HP logo.  The hard drive light on the front comes on for a short period of time and the goes out.  There is no further action.  I can't even get into the bios setup.  I disconnected the HD and still nothing. It was my opion that with it getting the HP logoand no further action that it was not accessing the bios and it is probably a bad motherboard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi jkmpost,

You're very welcome.

I agree.

Before jumping to this conclusion it is wise to also check easier to replace components.

Some folks don't want to jump through the following hoops. It may be easier to have a local PC tech take a look if your HP warranty has expired.

Boot the system after each component check:

Disconnect all unnecessary peripherals.

Check all MB  and internal component connections. Check for thermal damage on the motherboard and discrete graphics card. Clean the internals with compressed air or a dust buster designed for cleaning PC internals.

Replace the CR2032 MB battery. This will reset CMOS

Replace the PSU

Pull all RAM

Try each stick of RAM, one at a time, in each memory slot.

Try a known good stick of RAM, one at a time, in each memory slot.

Try integrated graphics or try a different known good graphics card.

Disconnect the front panel USB 2.0 card reader.

Disconnect the optical drive.

Now you are looking at motherboard failure. CPU failure is less probable. CPU failure could be consequential failure caused by motherboard failure.

Regards

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation