Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion G6 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an HP p6-2307a tower, it was all working fine when i went away for a week. I came back, turned it on and all I get is a black screen with the HP logo and no BIOS options. It just stays like that.

No lights come on on the keyboard, if i press Caps Lock that light doesnt light up like normal

If i remove the RAM then it beeps as expected

I have

removed the CMOS battery

reset CMOS using the jumper

taken power out and held power button in for 30s

pressed Windows key and B then powered it on

powered on then pressed Windows key and B straight after

But nothing changes with any of the above

I have downloaded the BIOS file from HP website on another PC but when I run the file it doesnt give me the option to create a bootable USB drive like it says in the instructions on HP website.

Anything else to try?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

You removed the CMOS battery and reset CMOS. Your PC was released for sale in 2012. Have you ever replaced the CMOS battery?

You get BIOS error beep code when you remove the RAM. This suggests the power supply may be okay. But eight years is a long time. Have you replaced the power supply?

Your PC does not support recovering the BIOS using the Windows key plus B key when powering on.

I would suggest reducing the PC to a minimum configuration.

Only connect the monitor.

Unplug all SATA and USB devices (including front panel USB) connected to the motherboard. Unplug the wireless PCIe half-length mini card.

See if you can get a good POST now.

Regards

HP Recommended

CMOS battery has never been replaced AFAIK, it doesnt POST with the battery out either

I just tried a known good PSU but no difference

Already disconnected everything but no change

HP Recommended

Hi,

You see the HP logo, so the PC can't complete a POST. Some component is causing the system to hang.

Can you get to the BIOS? Okay, you can't get into the BIOS.

Regards

HP Recommended

Ive tried pressing Esc, F2, F10, Del but it doesnt respond to any key presses its as if the keyboard isnt connected.

Ive taken the mobo out of the case,reseated the CPU and just got the PSU and monitor connected and turning it on by shorting the pins out and it still does exactly the same.

I dont think I've ever seen a computer display something but not POST, very strange but presumably either mobo or CPU, I'm guessing mobo has a serious fault

HP Recommended

Hi,

The p6-2307a specs show a Nvidia GT 620.

Have you tried removing this card to test onboard CPU graphics?

Regards

HP Recommended

Yeah that was the first thing to get pulled

I took the mobo out the case and just had another PSU connected with mobo, CPU & RAM only with no difference.

I tried the RAM in a different machine and all ok, and the RAM from that machine in this HP but still exactly the same behaviour

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.