Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-103na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pavillion Desktop 550-103na

On starting the black screen with the HP logo appears on the monitor and then the monitor goes into power saving mode.  I have tried all the recommended resets and none seem to work.

The desktop will start in safe mode.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Richard127 

Since it starts in Safe mode, this means an app or driver that is being loaded as part of StartUP is the issue -- and that is a long and tedious process to diagnose.

You have to do the following:

1) In safe mode, do ctl-alt-del and select Task Manager

2) Select more details and select the startup tab

3) Disable all the tasks

4) Reboot

If now, the PC boots OK, then is is definitely one of the startup items.

The process now is:

1) Go back to the startup tab

2) Re-enable the first task

3) save and reboot

4) If the PC boots OK, you have found the culprit -- if not, repeat steps 2 and 3 with the next task

5) When the PC fails to reboot properly, you have found the culprit

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help in this.

I disabled all of the tasks in the start up tab and tried a reboot but got the same response as previously with the HP LOGO and the spinning wheel and then the monitor just goes to power saving.

Hopefully you have some other ideas.

HP Recommended

@Richard127 

Does it still start OK in safe mode?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks once again for your efforts on this.

It still starts in safe mode with the start tasks enabled and disabled.

HP Recommended

I have done some further work analysing this fault and having exhausted all of the help for windows 10 and HP I was beginning to come to the conclusion that there was a problem with the graphics card.  As a result I removed the AMD R5 card and rebooted.  Low and behold the computer booted up.  The resolution on the integral circuits doesn't seem too bad for my uses so I may just leave it out.   I noticed the removed card had dust on the circuits that had not been rmoved by the vacuuming.  So I removed the dust with a soft brush and some alcohol.  On refitting the computer booted up but after a shortwhile it reverted to black screen presumeably as it heated up.

These graphic cards are largely unavailable so I cannot just purchase a new one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.