Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power 580-100 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just received this desktop a couple days ago, and after booting it up, getting signed in, etc, I disabled Secure Boot. After saving the changes to BIOS, it asked me to type in a 4 digit code in order to complete the boot mode change which I did.  The machine rebooted after that but failed to post (black screen), and gave 3 long beeps and 3 short beeps. I checked out what this code signifies and it looks like it's this: "the embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from graphics initialization."

The only thing I can think of is that I may have forgotten to enable Legacy Mode when I disabled Secure Boot. Could that potentially cause an issue like what I'm experiencing? I have also tried using the integrated HDMI ports (which may be disabled for all I know) and a different video card to see if I could get it to post but had the same results (3 long beeps, 3 short). It also seems that the CPU fan is working quite hard when I attempt to boot...

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this and how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Hmmmmm. All of the HP BIOS setups that I have looked at don't allow you to set secure boot enabled unless legacy mode is disabled.

Try clearing the CMOS so that you can get back to the default settings.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Oh interesting, that makes me feel a little bit better that this may not have been a silly mistake on my part! But now I'm even more lost as to what caused this...

I actually did attempt to clear the CMOS, both by using the jumper (set it to clear, started PC, turned off PC, set it to normal, started PC), and when that didn't change things I tried removing and re-insterting the battery (after waiting about 5 minutes). I'm still getting the same beep codes after that, which I found kind of strange.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please post the HP product number for your PC. How to Find the HP Model Number and the HP Product Number or let HP automatically find your PC model number and HP network attached printers. This will allow others to review your issue, make suggestions and review your responses. This is usually the best way to get assistance.

Three long beeps followed by three short beeps means graphics has failed initialization.

If your particular model PC has a discrete graphics card then you might try removing it and using the on board video processor. You could also try just reseating the graphics card and if the card has a power cable then make sure that the cable is on tight.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Big_Dave!

Product No. 2HJ53AA#ABA

Model No. 580-131

This model does have discrete graphics, and I have tried removing it and using the onboard video processer but I can try that again. Would you think that the onboard video would be disabled by default? I was thinking that may be the case.

I have tried reseating the graphics card multuple times and the power cable is on tight. I have been Googling this issue and found one person who said they got the same beep codes as I'm getting and that after the beeping stops (after 5 cycles) it actually booted for them. I was nervous about burning out components to wait and see if the beeping would ever stop and it would boot because the fans were cranked to the max. Oddly now when I boot it up the fans are pretty quiet, so I tried waiting until the beeping stopped but still no post when running off of the discrete graphics (I also tried swapping the HDMI cable to the onboard video once I saw no video via the discrete graphics but no dice). I guess I will go ahead and try the same with another old video card I had lying around...

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your PC is still covered by warranty so I suggest that you contact HP Support.

HP Recommended

I contacted HP support via online chat and they barely seemed to understand what the issue was that I was explaining and gave me no useful troubleshooting steps beyond the most basic. Then they asked me to return/exchange the PC from where I bought it, which was a third party seller via Amazon, so that's not really ideal since I would probably have to pay a restocking fee or something. I will continue messing around with it for a while before going that route I guess.

HP Recommended

@paulr24

I'll ask HP to look into your issue.

HP Recommended

@paulr24

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for passing that on to the appropriate team! I haven't received a PM just yet though, just want to make sure it's still coming my way.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.