Duranrebeka
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Desktop will not start up correctly!!

HP TouchSmart 320-1030
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello, I’m going to try and make this the least complicated it can be and simple. My desktop has been having trouble for over half a year now and it just came across to me today to ask this question:Everytime I turn on my pc it doesn’t go to the typical page where you sign in to your account it goes to a page that states “To skip disk checking press any key on keyboard.” I press a key because if I don’t it takes me to a page where it says “scanning and repairing drive (C:): 0% complete.” That page always stays at 0% complete and never changes anyways (sorry if this is too much for the reader, but I’m being as detailed as possible so it can be easier to help). Anyways when I press a key to get out of the loading process it takes me to my home page and everything seems normal until I get into my account and the screen turns black and doesn’t load. SO SORRY if this was confusing, but if someone can please help and tell me what’s wrong that would be wonderful, thank you. (Also I believe I’m on the most recent WINDOWS update)

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,807 5,035
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

1. Your PC was never certified by HP for Windows 10.

2. Many PCs require a BIOS update to correctly run the latest version of W10.  HP hasn't posted a BIOS update for your PC since May 2013.

3. Perhaps it's best to go back to a Windows 10 version before the fall creators update was issued.  That would be a half a year ago before you started having issues.  The problem today is that MS is forcing updates for W10 down on PCs running W10.

Try the latest HP Diagnostics and make sure that the HD is stable. HP Hardware Diagnostics

The scanning and repairing issue is usually a result of the dirty bit being set. You might want to try booting up a W10 installation media and run repair.  Do this process of boot/repair at least twice.

The scanning and repairing issue can also occur at times when booting separate HDs between UEFI mode and legacy mode. Based on your posted information I can't say for sure if this is your situation or is compounding your situation.

Sorry if the above is confusing but everything these days appears to be confusing.:smileysad:

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Level 12
11,043 11,017 575 1,638
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> When I press a key to (bypass disk-checking) it takes me to my home page and everything seems normal until I get into my account and the screen turns black and doesn’t load.

Writing a file to a disk-drive is complicated:

1. Windows has to look at its file which lists which blocks on the disk-drive are "unallocated".
  2. Windows sets a "dirty" bit, to indicate that a file-system update is now in progress.  It's only one "bit" -- True/False.
  3. Windows writes into those blocks.
  4. When the program "closes" the file, Windows updates that file of "unallocated" blocks, to indicate that some of those blocks are now "allocated".
  5. Writes writes the "details" (filename, date, size, pointer to the block(s) that now contain the file, et cetera) into a copy of the "directory" of the folder into which the file has been written.
  6. Windows now assigns some more "unallocated" blocks, and writes that updated "directory" to the disk-drive.
  7. Windows updates the time-stamp of the folder that contains the revised directory.
  8. If the folder has a "parent" folder, Windows repeats some of the above.
  9. If the parent folder itself has a "parent" folder, Windows repeats some of the above.
  10. Eventually, Windows "clears" that "dirty" bit to the disk-drive, if that "dirty" bit was "off" when the above operations started -- writing to a "dirty" file-system cannot make it "clean".

If you skip that disk-checking, your disk-drive never gets "clean".

When you reboot Windows, and the file-system is "dirty", you get prompted to run the disk-checking & repair.

I recommend that you:

1. create a good backup of all your personal files to an external disk-drive.
  2. reboot, avoid the temptation to "bypass" it, and let the disk-checker run.
  3. consider the possibility that your disk-drive might be in "imminent failure" status, and writing to it can either be "slow" or "not completed".
  4. Shutdown, power-off, disconnect the AC power, and remove the disk-drive.
  5. Connect it as a "secondary" disk-drive in some other computer.
  6. Boot that other computer.  Google-search for "download free SPECCY". Download, install, and run SPECCY, and expand the "Storage" section for the "secondary" disk-drive, and look at the SMART statistics.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

S.M.A.R.T. monitors the "health" of each disk-drive, at over 20 points.

If any of those show as "warn" or "fail", then it's time to replace your disk-drive.

As the Other Person wrote, reboot and launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics, and run the "short" (a few minutes) test against the disk-drive.  Don't run the "long" (many minutes) test until you have completed a good backup.

0 Kudos
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,807 5,035
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mdklassen

How can the OP backup files if disk checking never completes?:smileysurprised:

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Level 12
11,043 11,017 575 1,638
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

wrote:

> How can the OP backup files if disk checking never completes?

It depends on your definition of "never".  :Wink:

We are living in an age of "instant gratification".  How do you know, for sure, what the OP means by "never" ?

The elapsed time for disk-checking depends on the number of files & folders in the file-system, and, of course, on the (SUSPECT!) "health" of the disk-drive, and the amount of disk-activity required by the "repair" task.

In this case, disk-cloning of the OP's disk-drive may abort, due to having a "dirty" disk-drive.

So, my recommendation is to create a backup of all the Personal Files, purchase of a replacement disk-drive, reinstallation of Windows onto the new disk-drive, and a restore from that backup.

0 Kudos
New member PC_Queen
5 5 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

1) Since this is Hp unit - pls runt eh UEFI diags  for HDD- looks like HDD issue .

2)Try swapping the knowngood  hdd if you have another unit .

3)Check if there is any noise from hdd .

4) Try reinstallign HP image and check without any additional s/w - if still no go  and if the unti is under warranty - pls repalce the HDD.

Regards,

PC Queen

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation