Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Desktop won't move past the Compaq/BIOS screen

Compaq Presario SR5816F
Microsoft Windows Vista

I recently opened up the case to my Compaq computer (powered off and unplugged) and realized that the power supply cables were a tangled mess and wanted to organize these as I was cleaning the inside of computer.. I unplugged just about everything, and plugged back in when I was finished with the untangling of these cords.. When I powered back on, my computer would not move past the Compaq logo/ BIOS screen. The keyboard has ZERO functionality and I am not at all sure what I did!

I know it's an old machine, but any help on a resolution would be GREATLY appreciated!

I have two separate harddrives, a video card, and wireless PCI card hooked up, ALL of which worked just fine prior to my fooling around with the cords.

HELP!!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,007 5,993 565 1,265
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Did you happen to take a pic of the wiring connections before reorganizing the PC?

Check (reseat) all connections.

It is possible you may have dislodged something else.

Reseat RAM.

Check and reseat connections to the HDD.

Being stuck at the Compaq POST screen generally means a hardware error condition exists. This could also be a dislodged power connection.

A hardware failure may have occurred that has nothing to do with what you did.

Grzy

Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE/EDIT #1:

I totally forgot the pictures! They will be captured and attached within the hour!

Update/Edit #2

I have got the photos uploaded, attached, and have reformatted for neatness purposes.

Hello, Grzy!

Thank you for your reply and taking time to try and help me resolve this, as of yet, ongoing issue!

Unfortunately, I did NOT get pictures of the connections in their original state prior to doing the work I did. 😞

However, this is a no-brainer of an idea, one that I will definitely be doing consistently from here on out, ESPECIALLY anytime working with internal motherboard connections is required.

As of this post, I have emptied EVERYTHING (including motherboard & power supply) from my tower case. My plan is to be able to isolate the problem by testing a stripped down unit (ONLY neccessary and/or the most basic hardware attached) & adding hardware back into the fold, one piece at a time, until the problem (HOPEFULLY) makes itself clearly observed and much more specific than it appears to be at this time.

With that being said, at this time I have the motherboard pinned (and clipped via the virtually USELESS floppy connector bay) & clipped to the side of my (now empty) tower.

See Picture #1 (attached below)

Picture #1Picture #1

(P.S. Yes, I am aware that there is NO CPU fan currently present over top of the AMD chipset & socket. It was removed and set aside for an unrelated project that I considered it's value & purpose for. I will reattach prior to any power source activation, as I do not want to burn up my processor!)

On top of the case, lies the power supply and all extra PCI cards, as well as all the manufacturer installed peripherals from the front panel and rear of computer. I have also removed the power button, but decided to plug it in to motherboard. The button is now out in the open and on the ready for when the power supply and BASIC peripherals are reintroduced to the system.

See Picture #2 (attached below)

Picture #2 (Power button sitting on top of power supply)Picture #2 (Power button sitting on top of power supply)

As an added measure, I have pre-placed the jumper pins to the CLEAR position for both the CMOS & BIOS password. It is my understanding that I should power on & power off (for approximately 10 seconds or so?) soI may replace the pins to the standard operating postion before any major testing or use of the hardware occurs.

I was very tedious in taking this machine completely apart, and throughly checked each connection before removing. I did not notice ANYTHING out of the ordinary, when in fact, everything seemed pretty well seated and in its place. As I begin adding materials back to the board, I plan to double & triple check connections, ensuring that I am thorough and that each unit is fully seated, ready to go for each test run.

In my mind, and my gut, I feel that your second to last statement may end up being the situation after all, in which case, I'm wondering if there is a repair tutorial or guide to fixing things like this? When the computer was last running the power supply was operating, and I have since purchased 3.5" HDD enclosures so that I may continue to access and save my data as needed. Both drives that were in this PC are still operational and not corrupted.

So that leaves memory failure, possible video card and/or audio card failure, and/or a power connection issue left on the realm of possibilities, right!? I am hard up to really consider the video card as a valid option, simply because I had my card (GEFORCE 7200) installed via the PCIE X16 expansion dock. With the factory installed video card still seated and present in the rear panel of the computer, wouldn't I have to conclude that TWO video cards failed simultaneously, one directly after the other one?

I'm not sure there is much else I can offer in the way of an update from here on. Until I begin running through the hardware trials, I am definitely still stuck with a tower thats busted and will not boot into OS. Once again, thank you for your time and advice! I certainly hope to see this through to resolve soon!

Regards,

drummerchrissk

TPJ333

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation