Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Driver_Power_State_Failure - related to SD card, HDD-2

HP ENVY 23-1000 All-in-One Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This all started when I popped out an SD card while the computer was hibernating, a few months ago...

On boot up, before Windows 10 initiates, I get a message (on a blue screen that I am convinced is driven by the BIOS, not Windows) that there is a failure on HDD #2. Pressing F2 takes me to the UEFI screen, I run the appropriate tests, and exit UEFI. I then get a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE message (on a BSOD-looking screen) it saves the core and reboots.

I then (eventually) get the darker blue HDD-2 failure screen, which again takes me to UEFI, but this time when I exit UEFI, it properly comes up into WIndows 10, and works without issue.

(That's not entirely true, once I log into WIndows 10, it no longer hibernates.)

This seems like the BIOS is looking for an OS on my SD card in HDD-2 (and I have tried this both with and without the SD card in the slot). I do not appear to have any problems with my HDD-1 hard drive. (It passes all the UEFI tests). I upgraded the BIOS (to 80.16), but still no joy. I have also done a hard reset, and checked Device Manager for driver failures.

You can imagine someone wanting to bootstrap an alternate OS from the SD card, and I think the BIOS is trying to make that happen. I would like it to stop. So - I think my true goal is to somehow tell the BIOS to stop expecting to find an OS in HDD 2. If need be, I can wipe the HDD-1 disk and reinstall Windows 10, but this does not seem to be a Windows problem. My issues occur before WIndows loads. 

Thanks for your help.

Pat (Hillbepa)

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,809 5,043
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The SD card is considered an eligible boot device.  I have in the past boot Windows installation media from a SD card. The interface is USB and most if not all of the newer PCs/laptops can boot installation media from USB ports.

You might want to change the boot device discovery order in the BIOS if it's differnet compared to the HP default order and move the USB devices down the list below the Windows Boot Manager and save the change. Remember that you did change the boot order.

Another suggestion is to format the SD card (wipe all the data off) by doing the following:

Boot up without the SD card installed.

Insert the SD card.

Open up the command prompt (admin).

enter: Diskpart

enter: list disk

enter: select disk ----> x equals the SD card

enter: clean

enter: format

enter: exit

I suggest that you strip off all of the USB devices except for a wired keyboard and wired mouse while you are doing your testing.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer back, apologies for my slow response, but after a lot of work I've made no progress. 😞

I haven't tried fromatting the SD card (not sure why that would help?) but did disable all boot sources except for Windows Boot Manager (WBM). No Joy.

The inital error in looking for HDD 2 continues to happen very early in the boot stage, and points me towards an hp website for support, which is what leads me to think it is the BIOS. But since the only available boot source is WBM, it implies that the error is there... or Windows somehow told the BIOS to look for HDD 2?

I then refreshed the OS (one step below a complete OS re-install). No joy. However, all of my apps were wiped out in the reinstall, and I've spent the afternoon just trying to get back to where I was. 

Oh... and the Gaming Mode HDMI port that I rely on to view my work PC from my this PC is no longer working. It is ignoring the button on the lower-left of the screen that should put me into game mode. 

All because I needed my SD card while the PC was in hibernate state, instead of off.

This certainly isn't aimed at Big Dave, who was kind enough to write back, but this is just not a reliable tool. I don't want to pitch the thing (yet). It 99% works. But the remaining 1% is where I find all the value. I ought to be able to pop-out an SD card without having to buy a new PC.

Harrumph.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation