Highlighted
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Driver Signature Issue

HP ENVY 750-100 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Over the past 10 days or so I cannot get a keyboard to consistently work on my computer due to a driver signature issue. The week before last I was working on a 2-year old HP desktop with Windows 10 and after I stepped away from the computer for an hour I came back to a blue screen stating that the computer was not able to boot. I had not attempted to reboot the computer so it must have done so on its own. I eventually had to do a reset, which removed all my programs and apps, but kept my data and settings.

After completing the reset and reloading all of my software the computer seemed to work fine for 4 days. Then one day when I booted the computer the keyboard would not work when I was required to enter my password. I was able to get in using the virtual keyboard. I was using the original usb keyboard that came with the computer. Once I got into the computer I plugged in another HP wireless keyboard and that worked. I do not like this HP keyboard so I went out and bought a wireless Logitech keyboard, plugged that in and it worked.

The next time I logged in with the Logitech keyboard it failed. I also went back and plugged in the wireless HP keyboard and it worked until I rebooted. So three keyboards all failed on many separate reboots. I then downloaded the Logitech driver from their website and the Logitech keyboard worked fine until about the third of fourth time I rebooted. Then nothing.

OK that's the long set up here are the critical details:

I started checking in the device manager after the keyboard failed and found that Windows was blocking the driver because it claimed it did not have a valid signature. It would do this with both the Logitech driver and HID Keyboard Device driver version 10.0.16299.15. (The HID driver is the Microsoft driver that came with the computer and has worked fine for 2 years.) I can get the keyboard to operate if I reload the Logitech driver or if I pull out the USB Device from the port and plug it back in Windows reloads the HID driver. However, once I reboot the computer I get the same signature error when Windows loads.

I have scanned the computer with Norton and found no viruses. There are no other drivers affected. When the computer crashed I ran diagnostics on all of the drives and hardware and came up clean. I also took the computer to Best Buy and they scanned all of the hardware and everything checked out. The only problem I am having is the driver signature on the keyboard.

The easy work around is to simply reload the driver each time I reboot, but frankly that is ridiculous. There has to be a way to fix this.

Someone please help.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Driver Signature Issue

@griekens

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 750-100 series desktop PC. I read that there is an issue with the keyboard drivers. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

Let me know if you have attempted to download and install the drivers from the HP website for the keyboard? If not then the drivers can be downloaded and installed via this HP link.

If the issue persists even after reinstalling the drivers then please check and update the Windows OS and then retry. It should work. 

Hope this works out. Keep me posted. Good luck! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Driver Signature Issue

It turned out to be a key logging prevention program that came with one of the credit security companies I signed up for. I removed the software and that solved the problem. I spent a day looking for all kinds of complex solutions and the simplest one turned out to be the answer. Thanks.

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Driver Signature Issue

@griekens

Glad to have you back and I'm even more glad to know that the issue is fixed. 🙂

You have performed extremely impressive diagnosis and found out the root cause. Kudos to you for that. 

It is a learning for both of us in this case. Hope your PC works well and stays healthy for a long time. 

Happy computing! 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation