Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-bc414nq
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, so i have this laptop for a while and i have a problem. When i try to game on it, i keep getting a bluescreen with the message DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, it usually happens once a day, the game runs smoothly but my pc freezes and the blue screen appears.

I've tried a few things like:

- reinstalling windows

- checking my drivers

- disabling sleep mode

- checking my power saving options

But with no succes, if i game on it, the bluescreen is bound to happen. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @Sirgeorges,

Have you tried checking with a different adapter or battery?

Try the steps recommended below.

1) On your keyboard, press the Win+R (Windows logo key and R key) at the same time to invoke the Run box.

2) Type control panel and click OK to open the Control Panel window.

3) View by Small icons and select Power Options.

4) Ensure Balanced (recommended) is selected, and click Change plan settings next to it.

5) Click Change advanced power settings.

6) Expand Wireless Adapter Settings and Power Saving Mode, then change the setting to Maximum Performance.

7)  Expand PCI Express and Link State Power Management, then change the setting to Maximum power savings.

😎 Click Apply then OK.

1. Navigate to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound and Power Options.
2. Select ‘Change power settings’ next to the active power plan.
3. Select ‘Change advanced power settings’ text link.
4. Select ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’.
5. Find Graphics Settings or PCI Express and Link State Power Management and set to Maximum performance, depending on what computer you have.
6. Find Wireless Adapter Settings and set to Maximum performance.
7. Reboot your computer and restart.

Try updating the BIOS and graphics drivers on the PC to latest version.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Update the graphics drivers using this link. Click Here

Also, Please perform below-shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get reinstalled automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

If you’re getting Driver Power State Failure message, you might be able to solve it by performing an SFC scan.

Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list. If Command Prompt isn’t available, select PowerShell (Admin) instead.
When Command Prompt opens, enter sfc /scannow and press Enter to run it.
The scanning process will now start. Keep in mind that SFC scan can take about 10 minutes, so don’t interrupt it.

If you can’t run SFC scan, or if the scan can’t fix the problem, users are recommending to use DISM scan instead. To do that, follow these steps:

Open Command Prompt as administrator.
Run the following commands:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
After running both commands, check if the problem is resolved.

Also, you can run a battery test from the system diagnostics page.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey there @A4Apollo !

"Have you tried checking with a different adapter or battery?"

No I haven't tried with a different adapter or battery.

Before i got your message i installed a fresh copy of windows. I was curious to see if i would get the same bluescreen with fresh new drivers and as little software installed as possible. So i set up a game, opened discord and google. Sadly the same thing happened, i crashed in about 20 mins.

The next morning i got your message and here is what i tried:

1. The first stepps regarding "Wireless Adapter Settings and Power Saving Mode" and PCI Express and Link State Power Management.

Also i couldnt execute the 2nd group of instructions i guess is for another version of Windows.

2. I updated my graphics drivers, also donwloaded getforce experience and updated through that aswell. I usually use that software, but i didn't installed it yet due to the test i mentioned at the begining.

I haven't updated the BIOS, i had a problem before with my firmware driver, it kept pending a BIOS update, which failed every time i restarted. I solved that problem with the help of the support but i guess i'm not confident enough to mess with my BIOS again.

3. I ran the Sfc scan, at the end i got the message " Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

4. I also looked up how to remove the battery, but it's not easy to remove like other models, i will try to get a more experienced person to do these steps for me:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get reinstalled automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

I will try to see if i get the Blue screen again.

Blue screen: Still happening.

HP Recommended

Hi @Sirgeorges

Appreciate you trying the steps. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.