MarkNM
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

ENVY h8-1440t no boot

HP Recommended
ENVY h8-1440t C1U78AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Boots up only with the "hp" logo, memory, cache and processor information on screen.  Pressing ESC key offers "startup menu", but no way to invoke any selection.   No other functions recognized from keyboard or mouse.

I have checked coin-cell, 3.1V.  I have pulled and reseated all memories, disks, processor, slot-cards...no change.

I have tried shorting the CMOS reset...no change.

I have power-cycled with Windows-V and Windows-B...no change.

I have cold-booted by unplugging and holding the power button until the pilot light on power supply goes out, comes on and goes out again after about 40 seconds.

It appears something has died.  I do not have replacements to swap out.

Any ideas what to look for?

2 REPLIES 2
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,639 24,291 2,836 10,376
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MarkNM, welcome to the forum.

Due to the age of the computer it could be several different problems.  However, the first suspect is the power supply unit (PSU).  It is the most replaced component in the computer.  There are numerous guides on the Internet to help you test it.  Also, you can test the memory.  Remove all of the sticks of memory and replace them one at a time and try to boot the computer.  Place the single stick of memory in the slot closest to the processor.  This should be Slot #1.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
MarkNM
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the consideration of power supply and perhaps memories.

The symtoms of the failure as aforementioned happened a few times before it became permanent.  I was able to run the HP system checks under Windows on the booted machine...no hardware faults showed up from testing of all the items...memory, video, HD's and processor.

The failure mode with only the "hp" logo and memory, cache and processor id's is what I am presently stuck with.

I will check power supply voltages and see if something turns up.  It is the 600W supply, so lots of leads going to a great number of items.  This PC has been my workstation for heavy modeling and computation...I need it back soon.  🙂

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation