Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
h8-1360t Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I received the dreaded "1720 Smart hard drive detects imminent failure. Failing drive SATA0. Failing attribute #05." I bought a new SSHD and installed it, migrated the contents of my old, failing hard drive over to the new one, and permanently reset the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the system will boot from the new drive. I left the old drive in the cage, connected, because I intended to use it for as long as it lasted as a automated backup for whatever I files I produced using the new SSHD.

Problem: Every time I turn on my computer I get the same "imminent failure" message as before and I have to press F1 to boot the computer.

Question: Can I eliminate this message? I want to turn on the computer and have it boot directly from the SSHD.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The newer HP's can access the diagnostics from the F2 menu choice at startup.  Start tapping the Esc key and then press the start button to power on the PC.  Keep tapping the Esc key until the popup menu appears.  Pick F2 to tun the diagnositcs

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

There are some options for the solution, depending on if you can find/live with them.  First see this

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-is-a-smart-short-self-test

If that is possible and that option is done, it should stop the warning.  Of course the obvious next possible choice is to replace the failing drive.  Then the last suggestion is to just disconnect the failing drive and use the SSD by itself.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I have read the Techwalla explanation as well as several others but nowhere do I find instructions on how to RUN the SMART short self-test. Where is it?

HP Recommended

The newer HP's can access the diagnostics from the F2 menu choice at startup.  Start tapping the Esc key and then press the start button to power on the PC.  Keep tapping the Esc key until the popup menu appears.  Pick F2 to tun the diagnositcs

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.