Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
elite 8200 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We have several systems here that are Elite 8200 SFF running Windows 7 Pro on our domain. When those systems are restarted they often hang shortly after the shutdown process begins. It's hard to tell if they hang in the shutdown or in the startup, but I won't even see the systems post. Power will be on and the only way to get the system back and operational is to press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and start them again, which so far has always worked.

This started happening a couple of months ago, and originally I thought it was due to Windows updates related to Spectre. In fact, uninstalling certain specific updates seemed to make the problem go away, but now it's back and I can't trace it to an update any more. One thing seems certain. These 8200 PCs are the only ones exhibiting this behavior on our domain so I’m confident it’s a 8200 problem. I tried changing some BIOS options, like disabling AMT, but haven't had any consistent luck so far. I've noticed that the PCs are at different BIOS levels too since they were purchased as refurbished units.

I noticed another thread on this but it’s been closed and is several years old. Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be corrected?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've only updated the BIOS that way with the usb flash drive.

When I have done it with the flash drive inserted, there was prompt that asked me to select a USB flash drive or a CD, where I always selected the flash drive.

Then the PC saw the files on the flash drive, and off it went.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Hi:

I know that on W10 with BIOS v2.29 installed, the system hangs on restart for over two minutes.

I do not know if that also applies to v2.29 with W7 installed.

In any event, since you can't revert to an older BIOS version once 2.29 is installed, the workaround to stop the hanging restart in W10, is to hide the TPM device.

You will find that setting in the BIOS' security menu, device security, embedded security device-change the setting to Device hidden.

If that works for you, then do not update any of the PC's BIOS beyond v2.28.

I have two 8200 Elite CMT's running on W10 with BIOS v2.28, and they both restart with just the very short delay.

The only downside with the security device set to hidden will be that you will not be able to run bitlocker in Windows.

HP Recommended

Paul: You certainly may be on to something, and kudos if it holds true. I did as you said, hid the TPM device, then tried rebooting and it worked one time. Then the next time it failed again. So I went in the BIOS and turned the AMT configuration off as well on this machine, and it has booted successfully 7 times in a row. I haven't researched to see what both of these options do, but that combination appears to be working for now on this one machine. I'll point out that they typically don't fail to reboot every single time, just almost every time. And when they do it's not like it hangs for just 2 minutes, it totally hangs, but this is WIndows 7.

To reboot fine 7 times in a row looks promising. BTW, this machine was at BIOS level 2.15. - Joel

HP Recommended

Hi, Joel:

My understanding is that some of the PC's hang on the older versions of the BIOS too.

Bring it to v2.28 and see what happens.  Use the F10 DOS based flash method as that is the safest way to update the BIOS.

I have AMT enabled, and the TPM is not hidden in v2.28...no problems at all.

In other words, the BIOS is set to its defaults, no issues encountered.

HP Recommended

You can probably help me through this. First, I'm not sure of the procedure to flash the updated BIOS, so if you have some instructions on that that would be great.

Without that, I can't believe what happened. I went to machine 2, which was on BIOS 2.06. I made the change to hide TPM and AMT was already disabled, and then the machine wouldn't even boot at all, which is where it now stands. It gives:

Non-system disk or disk error.

No bootable device found.

I looked in the BIOS and saw that the boot order was set to EFI Boot Sources and Legacy Boot Sources was turned off. I'm pretty sure this is a legacy boot machine, so I tried turning on Legacy Boot Sources and rebooting. Same result, and when I go back Legacy Boot Services it is turned off again. When I try to choose a Legacy disk drive in pressing F9 for choosing a device, I don't even see anything listed under Legacy, but the drive is clearly visible in the BIOS. Also, when looking at boot devices underneath EFI Boot Sources it shows about 10 iterations of Windows Boot Manager. I'm guessing the BIOS is corrupted but you may have some different idea. In any case, it sounds like I should move to the BIOS you're recommending but I've not flashed the BIOS on this machine before. What do you think, and where are some good BIOS update instructions? I know flashing a BIOS can be dangerous if not done correctly, but I'm not in a great place right now anyway.

HP Recommended

> BIOS update instructions

See: Previous version v02.28 Rev.A

for the HP software to update to that version.

HP Recommended

Hi:

It sounds to me that somehow the PC can't find the operating system on the disk.

I suggest clearing the CMOS on the machine that won't boot.

See the service manual below, Appendix E, starting on page 304, for how to clear the CMOS.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04224518

Updating the BIOS--easy as pie...

Download and run the v2.28 update below.

v02.28 Rev.A

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71001-71500/sp71294.exe

An information page will open.   Read the instructions under the:

Startup Menu / F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Business Desktop systems provide a BIOS upgrade option through both the Startup Menu and the F10 Setup utility using the "Flash System ROM" feature.  Reboot the PC and press the Escape key to display the Startup Menu. Use the arrow keys to select Utilities, and then select the Flash System ROM option. Alternatively, reboot the PC and press F10 to access the BIOS Setup utility. In the File menu, select Flash System ROM.  Either method requires that removable media be present (USB storage or data CD) that contains the BIOS binary image file in the root directory. The binary image file can be found in the DOS Flash folder and is named xxx_MMmm.bin where "xxx" is the BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number.  To create a CD for updating the BIOS, use a blank CD-R or CD-RW disk on a system with a CD-RW or DVD+RW drive, and write the binary to the disk using any CD-burning software (Windows 7 and Vista support burning data CDs without additional software). If a BIOS Setup password has been set, the password will be required before being able to access the "Flash System ROM" menu. The user is notified when the process is completed.  The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is restarted.

Get a USB flash drive, and format it with the FAT32 file system.

At the bottom of the Startup Menu/F10 Setup BIOS Flashing instructions section, there is a blue link to click on that states:  View Contents of DOS flash folder.

Click on that link and the DOS flash BIOS files will show up.

Copy and paste all of those files to your formatted USB flash drive.

Restart the PC, tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 Setup menu and hit the enter key.

Select the File tab>Flash System ROM command, and select the USB flash drive.

Your PC should now 'see' the files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

HP Recommended

OK, clearing the CMOS did in fact allow the PC to boot as it should. Next I'll try flashing the BIOS to 2.28. I hope I'm not pressing my luck. 🙂 Thanks bunches so far.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

OK, I'm getting ready to do it but thought I'd double check. I ran the executable you supplied and will put the J01_0228.BIN file on a CD. After that it looks like all I need to do is boot the PC, go into the BIOS, and then just execute the File / Flash System ROM and it'll do what's needed. Is that everything? Thanks again. - Joel

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.