Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 3
39 38 0 3
Message 2481 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dell Studio XPS 9000 i7 Machine arrives 35 days from order date.

Worth the wait.  Amazing, Blazing and ROCK SOLID.  Dell is now routinely telling buyers 30 days for i7 system and trying like heck to price twist buyers into giving up 50% of their processing cores (HT on i7 give 8 Processor Cores vs 4 cores on i5).  12GB ram, 1 TB Seagate 7200.12 32mb cache HD (I added).

Case is AMAZINGLY roomy and well thought out.  Has a RECESSED tray on top for your iPhone or camera, USB ports a plenty.

If you elect to do a CLEAN INSTALL of Win 7 on the 9000 (also known as the 435T), you should be sure to download the Dell-specific drivers and install them following your clean Win 7 installation.  Most particularly and especially important:

Intel Software Installation Utility
JMICRON Driver (needed for eSATA)

Intel Matrix Storage Manager  (even if you are NOT using RAID)

nVidia Video Driver (NOT the drivers off the nVidia site!  This will avoid annoying Windows Explorer issues.  The nVidia Corporate website drivers had Windows Explorer halting and restarting if you right-clicked a file or folder.  The DELL drivers are rock solid.

Dell had me reinstall the A13 bios (to make sure it was fully operational)

After doing the above steps, my eSata external sata drive was instantly recognized.

NO FREEZES

NO LOCKUPS

NO BSOD's

Wakes from sleep mode with NO ISSUES.

Was it worth waiting 35 days?

YES.

Did I have all sorts of conflicts wanting one sooner?

YES.

Will this relieve the pain and anguish I endured like many others here with HP e9180t problems?

YOU BETCHA.

Today's favorite support tech excuse:

"Windows 7 is so new... and while it's good... it has a lot of problems...."

Yeah, RIGHT.  Read me another story, daddy.

Today's Tip:  If you don't own an iPhone, buy one.  You'll be amazed.  I was in BlackBerry hell for TWO YEARS waiting to be eligible for iPhone upgrade.  Never cracked the manual on the iPhone, wirelessly syncs all my contacts, email and calandar from Outlook 2007 via MobileMe to 3 different Windows 7 platforms.  The apps alone are worth buying the phone.  It's the gold standard of mobile phones.  Only knock is it is a bit on the fragile side and can't handle being dropped unless you have a weaponized case like the Otterbox Defender or Commuter cases...  Battery needs recharging during the day if you are heavy user ... Web browsing is AMAZING... blows BB to shreds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
39 38 0 3
Message 2482 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mallena_do wrote:

I came to this forum to check whether HP has delays regarding the i7 processor and I stumbled upon this discussion. I have placed an order for Dell XPS notebook with this processor and guess what? It is on delay? All I get is the "estimated arrival of processor". I have placed my order on 10/01, and the "estimated" delivery date was 11/04, which was just an estimated date and that I would get the laptop way before then. Well, that was a lie... Now my "estimated" ship date is 11/25... that is 8 weeks... I am looking into buying another laptop that has i7 processor but the laptop I want is HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition series... Dell rep told me they should receive the processor by 11/04, again it is an estimated time, and I have told them if by Thursday they extend the date once again I am cancelling my order and getting another one... so, I hope you are in more luck then I am, cause right now I am FURIOUS with Dell...

Hang on for your Dell.  I know how frustrating it is, and 8 weeks is crazy.  The demand for ANY i7 machine over at Dell is crazy, and the laptop demand is insane... all I can say is with my Desktop, it was worth the anxiety and uncertainty.  If you complain enough, Dell may throw you a price consideration bone (say $100?) to comp you for the long build time.. worth ASKING for.  Remember this is a VERY busy time of year for PC builders, add Windows 7 and you can see why they are scrambling...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 2483 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I received my e5180 back from HP. They swapped out the systemboard and I have not had any issues. Cold boots, sleep mode, all working. They loaded 5.22 BIOS. Has that been proven to slow the PC?

This whole ordeal would have been a lot better if their tech support would have been aware of the issue. I spent proabably 20+ hours with tech support doing restores and diagnostics. I can't really blame HP for putting out the bad boards although they did go the cheap route with the manufacturer. The awful tech support and the way they handled the situation they defintely get an "F" in that department.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
39 38 0 3
Message 2484 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think HP overall is a great company - but this problem with the bad motherboards has soured a lot of people who were negatively impacted.  I had 2 e9180t's and threw in the towel when they both had the freeze problem.

Would I buy another HP in the future?

Sure I would consider them, I have a dv9700 CTO HP laptop that is VERY fast with Win 7.  Because it has a real fast boot-up algorhtym in the BIOS, it actually boots up faster than it's big brother Dell i7 Desktop  (the Dell goes through a lengthier BIOS check before spinning up the drive and loading Win 7).

I have all HP printers at my home business and workplace, they rock.  Laserjet 3390 MFP is a joy, but sadly they as yet have not released Win 7 software other than a generic PRINTER driver, so the other functions (fax/scan) do NOT operate when connecting via IP address on my network to my Win 7 PC's or Win 2008 RC2 Server 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
142 142 0 21
Message 2485 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Finally got my confirmation for my warranty purchase.

It took another letter to the CEO and from there I got a case manager who send me the purchase confirmation.

Purchased the warranty on Nov. 22-09

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
211 205 0 29
Message 2486 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Just curious. How many people have had a case manager tell them they would call back, and never do? Still waiting to hear from mine after calling and having them give her a message multiple times.
---------

http://twitter.com/cthemenway
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
175 175 0 18
Message 2487 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had one flake out and had another who saw what was going on and took over from the first who was apparently getting ready to move to another job. People get sick, change jobs etc, so I'd call and ask about what is going on with your.s

I had an issue with another electronic gadget and someone suggested hitting it with some freeze spray to lower the temperature on various components to see if that helped diagnose the issue. So I went over to Radio Shack and bought some. Has anyone here tried zapping the MOBO with a freeze spray to see if that would trigger the 'cold boot' behavior? Of course HP should have been doing it, but, that aside, I wonder if anyone had tried it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5
285 283 1 31
Message 2488 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@95mustang wrote:
Just curious. How many people have had a case manager tell them they would call back, and never do? Still waiting to hear from mine after calling and having them give her a message multiple times.

Mine finally called after more than two weeks, when he realized that I hadn't reurned the computer that was being replaced.  We've got a real donnybrook going now!

I've got two defective systems and the best he could offer was that I should return the one and send the other for repair, thus putting me without a computer for a week to 10 days.  When I said that wasn't going to work for me, he offered me a refund.  When I said that all I wanted was to get a computer that wasn't defective, he repeated my options, then closed my case and refferred everything to the legal department.  Great job.  5 failed attempts to get a computer that works 3 months after the original purchase, and HP wants to go to court.

Bring it on, I've got my documentation and all my notes from each conversation with HP, including the one where he gave me his "100%" guarantee that sending it in for repair would be successful.  I can't wait to hear how he would respond to that under oath in open court. :Wink:

Message Edited by GaryJ51 on 11-02-2009 04:43 PM
Highlighted
Level 4
142 142 0 21
Message 2489 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GaryJ51,

This is getting interesting.

Keep us updated please.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
39 38 0 3
Message 2490 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GaryJ51 wrote:

@95mustang wrote:

Mine finally called after more than two weeks, when he realized that I hadn't reurned the computer that was being replaced.  We've got a real donnybrook going now!

I've got two defective systems and the best he could offer was that I should return the one and send the other for repair, thus putting me without a computer for a week to 10 days.  When I said that wasn't going to work for me, he offered me a refund.  When I said that all I wanted was to get a computer that wasn't defective, he repeated my options, then closed my case and refferred everything to the legal department.  Great job.  5 failed attempts to get a computer that works 3 months after the original purchase, and HP wants to go to court.

Bring it on, I've got my documentation and all my notes from each conversation with HP, including the one where he gave me his "100%" guarantee that sending it in for repair would be successful.  I can't wait to hear how he would respond to that under oath in open court. :Wink:

Message Edited by GaryJ51 on 11-02-2009 04:43 PM

Hi Gary-

Well, arguing with HP, in person, on the phone, by email/snail mail, or in court is going to burn a lot of your time and cost you some money (one way or they other, as your time is worth money, no?)

If they are willing to give you a refund, it might be worthwhile to take it and purchase something else or build your own.  Either path 'works', depending on your skills and patience.  I like buying from a systems integrator, be it Dell, HP, Lenovo or whomever.  I have built my own, but with the heat issues and power supply demands of these newer cpus and video cards, I like to leave the systems engineering to the engineers.

I will say that even Dell has some pretty chintzy looking cases on their Vostro line, and their lower-end XPS (non-studio) series don't have much "curb appeal".  That said, I can assure you that the STUDIO XPS 9000 I wound up with is a great system and I'm happy with it.  No lockups, freezes or BSOD's.  Decent Windows Experience Numbers ranging from a high of 7.2 for the cpu and memory sub systems down to 5.9 for the hard disk drive.  If I bounced for a stand-alone RAID card I could no doubt go Raid 0 (striped) and kick the disk subsystem up a tad, but it's fast enough for me.

Running W7 Ultimate 64.  Allow appx. 30 days to receive it, that's where HP is pulling sales because they have fast turnaround times.

Remember, to us (those affected by the 9XXXX series freeze/lock issue) this is a HUGE deal and we're pretty WORKED UP, but HP is the 3000-lb gorilla.  It's one thing to plead a case, another matter to put it on in court and get them served and to show up... then it's all up to the judge.  I don't know how a small-claims thing would go.  Class action is wonderful for tort lawyers but not worth much to the "class" as a whole, because the lawyers' fees are by FAR the most substantial, and the class portion is typically peanuts, e.g. as discount on future systems or a free x months of additional warranty or something.

If you want to achieve peace, it might be worth going another way and parting company with HP.  If you can do so with your original funds in tact, you are not deemed 'harmed' (because you got your money back).  It's hard to make a case for the lost time and mental anguish of fighting with support and/or case managers.

Take the money.  Get a non-HP box.  Be happy, Grasshopper.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation