Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Teacher
Teacher
285 1 31
Message 2861 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Elite e9150t Feezes/Locks up

@BrettD wrote:

I hereby give up with hp "support".

After dozens of calls to hp, and many broken promises, I eventually wrote to the CEO as suggested by someone on this site. Nothing.

My unreliable pc is still sat here waiting for a returns box. It's many weeks now since I began this effort to fix the thing. I give up. I don't know what else to do.

Good luck to anyone else in the same situation.

Save yourself a lot of wasted time and just put in a good motherboard.
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
36 0 0
Message 2862 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After the Garen T post yesterday, I contacted support via email.  The response from HP was some garbage about a bad hard drive.  They wanted me to restore back to factory defaults and then open the box and disconnect, then reconnect the jumpers on the hard drive.  What BS!!!!
0 Kudos
Gun_Jump Tutor
Tutor
15 0 0
Message 2863 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So does anyone know if HP is changing MOBOs and will be shipping anything new to retails?
Future Shops which that’s where I shop has not received anything since this fiasco, so obviously there are some changes at HP

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
58 0 12
Message 2864 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We only know those machines came back with something of a resemblance of what they had before. Hence my point and the point of many others in this post... of writing down all the serial numbers from all the cards and devices before they sent it in. So unless the person who sent back their machine has checked all the numbers... the point is obvious... They really don't know... I also wrote I would give anyone who replaced their board 45.00 for their old one. Provided they treated the old board as a good board using every precaution not to static shock the board. Judging from your well earned tone I cannot in good conscience believe you removed the board in the proper technical manner. And most techs would just do a rip and replace if they knew the board wasn't to be used again. Anyway had you caught my offer before you removed your board I would be glad to have accepted it. 

I will keep my eyes out for these boards at a good price because the non technical comments had a small impact at one point and I got the first one new for 135.00 and the second at the height of the drama for 45.00. But now since all that is wearing off and independent techs like me have had our hands on them to test, the price has gone back up to 150.00 from a reputable source NEW. The retail went back up to 210.00. And most places are sold out. I watched the market on these for a good time now. Sales have dropped at first and now they can't keep them on the shelf. There won't be a recall. Only the ones that were touched by HP have received bad press. Could some of the ones that HP has installed be flawed ABSOLUTELY. No one has said that the HP boards are not flawed. Only that the ONE I got from an HP owner and the ONE I got from geeks aren't but that's just my experience. The ONE that my brother in law had from HP had an issue but they fixed it within a week. But that's just his experience. The majority of those who came on to this thread got theirs fixed in time but that's just their experience. There are the ten or so left on here (according to proximo) still having issues and that is just their expience. They could have come from the same assembly plant and they could have been training someone that day... Or the packing guy at pegatron new he was going to get fired... Or the resister supplyer had a bad spool of micro resistors thatmade their way into one of the "lots" of the pegatron boards. We don't know... But there are thousands of other boards out there that aren't having issues. There are threads out there of guys asking for the configuration for these boards and them thanking other users for the info after they get theirs up without issue. But YES there are some bad boards the HP has. There are some bad boards that non hp owners have... THat's the way it goes. Does that make them all bad... No... Does that make them all good... NO...

My suggestion to most would be to stay away from any that came out of the HP units. They may have had a bad batch of a few dozen but besides that... when they are pulled due to the bad press alone, the care will not be there when they are pulled. A used HP board is worthless. Most of us out there have been posting that for months. To get your hands on one would be to test it only. Not for long term use. Even if care was given the most common perception is to stay away from them because most likely they were not handled correctly.   If you treat the board right... I surely would have given you 45.00 for it. Read up the offer was in my earlier posts. I would actually prefer someone who lived in NYC... I would pull the old and put the new one in for them in lue of the 45.00. Then all they need is to purchase the new board. I've seen a ticked off guy take a 9v battery and jumpers to a board after he pulled it. So I would prefer to see the unit booting before I pulled the board. Make sure that when you buy the new board you pick up a new Heat sink fan the old one is proprietary to HP. I had to rip the mounting off of the two motherboards I have to use the Intel fan. Also check to see which version i7 you have you'll have a better oc experience with the DO then with the CO. Be prepared to have stability issues once you do the oc. Especially if you going to push over 4GHz. Personally with these CPU's there isn't too much reason to do oc except just to say you did and post to a board. Back in the day it was more of a necessity now it's more of a fad thing. But you brought up a good point. I know of someone who used to work for American megatrends that wrote bios for these and has over clocked the hp. I may for the heck of it check that out further. Like I sad that stuff is usually just for show these days. 

Let me know what you want to do with your board... Knowing that you have issues is going to be a hard cell to anyone else if you are honest about it when you do switch your board. I'm willing to give you the 45.00 because I know the board is for testing. If you sell it saying you never had problems you would be worse than HP. Any bios you have on it would do I would probably replace it anyway. Actually put the original back. That would be interesting to see if it causes issues with that particular board. I don't think anyone on here would sell their boards as if they had no issue. Everyone on here seems so nice.. This is just a bad situation that HP didn't handle correctly.

Message Edited by sandar2020 on 11-16-2009 08:34 AM
Message Edited by sandar2020 on 11-16-2009 08:58 AM
Sandar2020
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
53 0 3
Message 2865 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sandar,

A couple of questions if you will.

I am getting a e9280t i7-975 delivered tomorrow. I want to immediately write down the serial numbers of the boards,etc.

1. What do I need to do you protect from static? (like how to ground myself or what)

2. How do I poke around in there without damaging anything? (a plastic tool maybe)

Thanks,

Ron...

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4494 314 1463
Message 2866 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello All, I just received a call from a Case Manager Supervisor. What service.

I explained all my issues with the two systems I purchased, and requested the defective systems be replaced with new systems, and she denied my request.

All she offered was for me to send the systems back for repair. I explained all the issues with respect to the HP repair, and she again advised that was all she could do for me.

Since these two systems cannot be used reliably, I now will have to rob all the usable components from them and build two new systems that I can use.

$3,500.00 down the drain. But we all live and learn.

Good luck to those that continue to purchase products from HP.

Message Edited by Hanspuppa on 11-16-2009 08:48 AM

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
142 0 21
Message 2867 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Hanspuppa,

$3500.00 is a lot of money, why not send your computers in for repair (again if they been there before).

I would, because you paid good money for them and you should be getting good working computers.

Don't let HP off the hook so easy.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
58 0 12
Message 2868 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ron

First remove the power cord and all cables from the machine, Press and hold the power button to disapate andy charge left in the capasitors. Do not shock the components. A standard static wrist band will do. As an added precaution touch the case from time to time. Do not open your machine in a room with carpet. If there is carpet get one of those plastic chair protector. Some prefer to use static resistant gloves... I don't use them. They leave to much to faith in the gloves. Again... ground yourself with a wristband digned for the purpose. Use a magnetic screwdriver so as not to drop any screws into the unit. This all sounds nervy at first but I assure you with practice it will be second nature. Any one with a steady enogh hand to send a text message from a qwerty keybord can do this.

Try to handle all boards by the edges. Before removing drives disconect all cables. Before removing any boards disconect all cables. Make down where they all came from.. make a chart or take pics with your camera phone. Lable the wires if you must. HP makes this easy anyway. They are color coded. If you are removing the board make sure to remove all screws and pay attention to all nylon standoffs if there are any. You may need to squeeze the clips to unlock them if they are there. Do not stress the board by twisting it. You should left the side furthest from the back of the machine first to relieve tention from the gronding on the back plate.

If youneed more let me know... I will even email you if you need assistance.

Message Edited by sandar2020 on 11-16-2009 09:12 AM
Sandar2020
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
58 0 12
Message 2869 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Lindia is right if you spent that much money you should get them to fix the issue. I have been there where I've had to caulk it up to experience though. I kow how that feels.

If someone is so fed up with them however and lives in the NYC area I will switch your board out for you. Just buy the new board. I feel really bad that this is hapening to you guys. You must know you will be voiding your warrantees once you start making your own changes though. You would be assuming a risk. HP would then be out of the loop. Of course I wouldn't tell them you made changes. It's not that I am a generous person, I want the old board to see what is up with it. I am very curious.

Before anyone in NYC replies to that... that is If anyone replies to that. I will ony do a few of them come first serve.

Sandar2020
0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4494 314 1463
Message 2870 of 3,999
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Lindia, You are right about $3,500.00 being a lot of money. But I have two considerations to be concerned with here.

I gave $2,005.00 for the system that I use personally. I use it from my home, but for some business use as well. So I need the system to work every day.

The other system price was almost $1,500.00, and is used in a business. The business simply cannot be without a working computer for even one day.

I do have some more systems here at home, (6) that I can use, and several in the office as well, but it has been my experience that any system sent back to HP or any OEM for that matter, never comes back completely repaired.

It is just not worth the hassle to keep sending systems back and forth without any satisfactory results.

I have an interest in four small companies where I purchase and maintain their networks and systems. I have purchased Dell systems for these companies for 16 years now, and with very minimal service issues.

Some of these Dell systems have been running 24 hours every day, seven days every week for over ten years now, with downtime only for some hardware upgrades (hard drives and memory) and software updates, and an occasional power outage.

I had an issue with a system that I purchased from Dell for my personal use and spent 9 months trying to get Dell, to first acknowledge the issues, and then resolve it.

Dell shipped me four systems with defective motherboards, much like the HP issue, but with different defects. I finally added an Raid controller card and issue resolved.

Since I had so much trouble getting Dell to do anything about their defective systems, I switched to HP. What a mistake.

I budgeted and started to replace all the Dell systems with HP systems over a three year period. I have purchased 11 HP systems so far this year.

Six desktops and 5 Laptops. Of the 11 HP systems, I have experienced issues with three of them right out of the box. Since I purchased on of the systems with an issue from Costco, I returned it after one month and they replaced it with a new one.

I purchased the two defective systems directly from HP, since I wanted a configuration that was not available pre-built. Another mistake.

I also purchased a HP Lazer printer at a cost of $500.00 for the office system.

Just to give you some idea of my background, and not to appear to be bragging, I have been using computers since 1975, and have built hundreds, and repaired and upgraded thousands of computers. I have a pretty good handle on how computers work and why they don't. I have never had a computer that I was not able to repair and work as it should, except for a few where the cost would have been more than the system would have been worth. A few Laptop motherboards and such, come to mind.

I have several PC cases in my shop that I can use, and order a retail motherboard, remove all the components from the defective HP systems, and have a working system in less time that it would take to send these defective systems back for repair, only to get them returned in much the same condition as when they were shipped.

HP is no different than any other OEM company. That have no regard for doing the right thing, but only the bottom line for a given fiscal quarter.

The long term consequence of their decision to not address this issue will cost them thousands of dollars just from one customer, but they just don't care.

Thank You for your suggestion. My wish is that others may be helped by my experience.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation